Undersized cables ?

p24-1953

I have a slow crank condition on the 40' but I thought yall could help.  Symptoms:

1) Extremely slow cranking even thought I am using a 1000ca optima battery ( new)

2) battery cables get very hot after starting.

It will start it just takes 5 or 10 secs of cranking.  Timing is set to 4btdc ( set it to 0 and made no difference)

The battery is well grounded.

Bypassed the Selinoid by touching cables together and still supper slow.

The cables look to be the right size, but not sure.  Are all signs leading to undersized battery cables?

Cables should be zero gauge. 6v hates resistance both power in and ground side. Make sure up to snuff.  Sometimes ovaled armature bushings will allow the armature to drag on the field coils slowing spin rate.  This is fixable but do the cables first.  If things don't improve then check the bushings.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 10:10 PM, p24-1953 said:

I have a slow crank condition on the 40' but I thought yall could help.  Symptoms:

1) Extremely slow cranking even thought I am using a 1000ca optima battery ( new)

2) battery cables get very hot after starting.

It will start it just takes 5 or 10 secs of cranking.  Timing is set to 4btdc ( set it to 0 and made no difference)

The battery is well grounded.

Bypassed the Selinoid by touching cables together and still supper slow.

The cables look to be the right size, but not sure.  Are all signs leading to undersized battery cables?