HOME Stretch

Conn47D24

Conn, we have more in common than you know.  The last time I actually drove my 48 DeSoto was also 1980.  I bought the car in the late afternoon in May, 1980 up in Banning Ca.  That's on the I-10 on the way to Palm Springs.  I lived in San Diego about 95 miles away.   I knew the engine was very weak with compression readings of 25, 50, 75, 50, 40, 60.  It was getting dark as I came into view of the sun setting over Lake Elsinore.  Then half way home the engine started coughing and I thought Oh no here it comes.  But it stopped and kept going.  After I made it home, it drove for another week until the compression was gone.  So I rebuilt the engine in a ROP class and made the woeful beginner mistake of saying "lets not stop with the engine, let's do a complete restoration!  So here I am now, finally with the time and the money to do just that.   I bought an NOS Compete Air control system that I may add to the car, but you scared me with your warning about how hard it is to install.  

P1020572.JPG

img019.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Ed.  Yes, that sounds right.  The dash is pulled and I have the huge illustrated installation instructions that came with it.  I even have the panel to block the ducting to the non-existent driver side heater.  So I guess that means I will have two levers, one for opening the cowl vent and one for opening the plenum door?  

6 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Thanks Ed.  Yes, that sounds right.  The dash is pulled and I have the huge illustrated installation instructions that came with it.  I even have the panel to block the ducting to the non-existent driver side heater.  So I guess that means I will have two levers, one for opening the cowl vent and one for opening the plenum door?  

Correct dual levers. I fixed the box from my coupe and managed to get it all back together! The driver's side heater makes it really crowded behind the dash on the driver's side

• Like 1

Yes, I bet it would, and a lot of complicated plumbing on the cowl.  Being in Southern California, I don't need the extra heater.  Is the idea behind the All Weather system that you can drive with the cowl vent open all the time? Then when you want more ventilation, you open the plenum door.  And rain gathers in the bottom of the plenum and drains out of the cowl somewhere?  

Can I install most of the wiring that goes on the back of the dash on my desk before installilng the dash in the car.  Could that also include the big heavy radio?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Yes it does seal off the cowl vent from rain. The main purpose is to provide outside air into the heater. I did all my wiring on the dash but put the radio in later. The biggest challenge and one I'm not sure I still got right is routing of the cables. My defrost, heat, and choke cables are difficult to pull.

• 1 month later...

Looking very nice Clay. You get to this stage and you realise just how many individual parts make up a complete vehicle. Probably not much different from building a house. Of course the parts are not quite as available as building materials either. I have always been fond of the late thirties Chrysler Corp vehicles and always will but watching your progress and others here has given me an appreciation for the style and form of the forties generation cars. Maybe something from this era for a retirement project.....

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful.  Can I drive mine up for a fresh coat of paint?  The color is almost identical to the Charlotte Ivory from the P-15 charts.  My paint wont look that ridiculous this time around.  Perhaps when I'm older and wiser.

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Haha 1

This was an interesting project.   Original visor boards were dry and breaking.  One chrome arm was rusty, and both brackets needed paint. 

Sooooo  of course I took them apart,  The chrome arm thru the brackets have a spring to hold tension.   Original is a machine " peened " over attachment.  That is gone upon disassembly.

I drilled into the end of each arm and used self threading screws and a cap washer. Medium Locktite thread glue.

New chrome, new paint, new boards ( ABS ) and now ready for the upholstery shop when I get the headliner , etc done .

IMG_20210310_083908.jpg

IMG_20210310_090445.jpg

IMG_20210310_143238.jpg

IMG_20210423_170441.jpg

IMG_20210517_115757.jpg

IMG_20210518_141510.jpg

IMG_20210519_111654.jpg

IMG_20210519_111716.jpg

Edited by Conn47D24
Omission, Locktite
  • Like 1

Sill , rocker trim today.

I made cardboard templates to line up the bolts mounted on the trim.

Drilling through the new paint was scary. 

Clips all painted with POR-15.

Measured many times BEFORE drilling !

IMG_20210520_083932.jpg

IMG_20210524_145747.jpg

IMG_20210524_152339.jpg

IMG_20210525_143434.jpg

Nice job!  I'm enjoying the progress you're making on your D24.  Where did you get your rocker trim?  Or is it original that you restored (or was in that good of condition)?  

Dan,

Grabbed the pair NOS  from Mitchell's,  probably 6-7 years ago. 

A previous restoration cut out rusted sills and replaced them.

Not only no original clip holes to use,  but the sills are even with bottom edge of fenders.

That meant I had the modify the clips and really think about placement before drilling holes.

Glad it's done!

Thanks

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update : lost several weeks waiting on powder coating rims.

Now recovering from hernia surgery.  

Tires getting mounted and balanced, but wanted to share this photo.

Tire shop recommended blasting rims due to rust were the tube and bead will sit.

My choice to coat them to match paint. 

Will have the red pin-striping done eventually.

IMG_20210614_112425.jpg

• Like 2

Big day !

First ride since 1981. 

Turn around cruise around the driveway and neighbor's parking lot.

Video too large to post. Ill try again soon. 

Much more to go but very satisfying day. 

IMG_20210627_162352.jpg

• Like 9