Square block drain

mrbobs48

I'd just grind a cheap socket/ratchet extension to the right size.  Start with a 1/2 or 3/8 depending of size.   Sockets for this are available but HF is out of stock on their sets, and singles from tool trucks are too expensive for the amount of use one would get from it.

edit:  for example: https://shop.snapon.com/categories/Pipe-Plug%2C-Inches%2C-Chrome/674846

Edited by kencombs

Not sure exactly what size you need but I've got this in my tool box with quite a variety of those sockets https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N2YGB06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jfxoFbX4JBW6Z

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Not sure exactly what size you need but I've got this in my tool box with quite a variety of those sockets https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N2YGB06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jfxoFbX4JBW6Z

that looks like the HF set that I mentioned above.  when they were in stock the were about half the amazon price, but they've not been available for a while. 

Those oil galley plugs are 5/16" .

You need a very high quality driver to remove them.

They are extremely tight and hard to remove with a weak or poor fitting bit.

• Like 4

I rounded one out and then I had a real problem !

I paid the machine shop to remove it.  ( did not ask how)

On 8/16/2020 at 10:28 PM, dpollo said:

I rounded one out and then I had a real problem !

I paid the machine shop to remove it.  ( did not ask how)

A machine shop will drill it and use an E-Z out.   I have had good luck removing them using vise grips and a properly fitting piece of key stock.  I don't reuse them, I put in new ones with a raised square head. Much easier to remove in the future.

If I'm not mistaken it is a plumbing fitting with a tapered thread.  Also, I seem to remember there is one on the rear of the engine that gets covered by the bell housing so a square headed replacement might not work on the rear of the engine.  I left mine in the block and let the machine shop handle it. Regards.

Two plugs...one front and one in rear of main oil galley.

3/8" X 18 NPT plug...

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Corrected to 3/8" pipe plug from 1/4".
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, nice to know it is standard pipe thread,

drill and easy-(hopefully)-out.  ?

...buy a proper square drive socket for pipe plugs.  Using 'easy-outs' is rarely a good idea on a well seated plug as they increase the hoop tension and make the plug even harder to turn. 

Sunex 310Pc Soc 5/16 3/8D Imp Pipe Plg 4Pt Male Blk

Sunex 310pc on bay...................

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2020 at 10:40 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Two plugs...one front and one in rear of main oil galley.

1/4" pipe thread.

I went to use a 9/16" tap to clean the threads on the first plug I busted and it was too small. These are the oil galley plugs on the front and rear of the engine, not the side plugs on the galley.  The outside threads are the about same diameter as the oil galley running from front to rear.  Just don't know the size and pitch.

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

To be honest with you, the only folks who should be touching those galley plugs are the machine shop guys.

They take those out every day and have the right technique to do it....and best of all they don't charge, it's included in the cleaning.

Just sayn'

57 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I went to use a 9/16" tap to clean the threads on the first plug I busted and it was too small. These are the oil galley plugs on the front and rear of the engine, not the side plugs on the galley.  The outside threads are the about same diameter as the oil galley running from front to rear.  Just don't know the size and pitch.

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

Those oil galley plugs are 3/8" X 18 NPT.

My mistake saying 1/4".

I had too much Drambuie on that post.?

8 minutes ago, Loren said:

To be honest with you, the only folks who should be touching those galley plugs are the machine shop guys.

They take those out every day and have the right technique to do it....and best of all they don't charge, it's included in the cleaning.

Just sayn'

Ditto, I let the Machine Shop deal with all that stuff,

I know it might be a little late now but for future reference.

26 minutes ago, Loren said:

Just sayn'

They have the right tools to do it (Oxy-Acet torch, drill press, etc).   I want to clean the block (or have it cleaned) and check to make sure it's clean before the machine shop does the other work.  Even if it needs cleaning again after the machining work.  Seen too many things screwed up or half done during my lifetime by others to just hand it over.     

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Those oil galley plugs are 3/8" X 18 NPT.

My mistake saying 1/4".

I had too much Drambuie on that post.?

Maybe on a 48-53 Dodge they are different.  As I said these are larger than a 9/16" thread cleaner. Maybe 5/8-3/4.. I can almost stick my thumb in it.   The side ones look about 3/8".   Haven't seen these large plugs on the regular antique Dodge parts sites.  LazyK on the other post explained about Pipe Plugs..measured 3/8 on inside and larger on outside. I didn't know that.

Edited by Bryan
Didn't know about pipe plugs.

I thought they were 1/2 inch pipe, but again, the Machine Shop took them out and put new ones in so I'm only going by what I see after the fact.

If it wasn't -1, blowing and snowing I'd go out to the shop and check, but ?

12 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

I thought they were 1/2 inch pipe, but again, the Machine Shop took them out and put new ones in so I'm only going by what I see after the fact.

If it wasn't -1, blowing and snowing I'd go out to the shop and check, but ?

I wait every morning (late) until it gets above 45F. Usually 12pm to 4pm then it starts cooling off.  Can't stand being cold.  

This is the factory D24 parts book showing the 3/8" X 18 NPT oil galley plugs.

Google for correct tap dimensions if necessary.

20220202_222507_compress0.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

6 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

This is the factory D24 parts book showing the 3/8" X 18 NPT oil galley plugs.

Google for correct tap dimensions if necessary.

Thanks, found it in mine. Going to have to learn that even if it is not shown on the picture diagram it's listed as a sub-part. I had looked before and couldn't find it.  I ordered 5 brass plugs and 2 stainless steel ones plus a tap. Going to clean the threads, run the stainless thru as a further chase, then use the brass ones later.  Weird that I thought NPT was tapered but these look straight vertical.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

NPT is tapered, straight pipe isn't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

I know, but I swear they look straight up. I ordered NPT fittings and a tap from Amazon which I can return if they don't fit..  We'll see. Had a rough night. I might go out today and drill/clean up the other plug.