53 Dodge pickup questions from a novice.

37 minutes ago, Bobacuda said:

Passenger side

As of May 15, 2015 (2).JPG

This photo brings up a question for me, I have the Truck Master 65 heater,

(mine is restored in a box, this is a internet photo)

I see you have the inlet and outlet hooked up but no mounting bolts?

I assume you are using a different heater, in my case, should the knockout (in black) 

be removed for fresh air? I can not find any info for the install of this heater?

1765309717_AsofMay152015(2).thumb.JPG.627e9ca0d9252b7b7a7128a0e76cd6ed.JPG

Edited by billrigsby

1 minute ago, wallytoo said:

i only see yellow circles (two).

Capture.PNG.75b403209a21629a9b546dca457f9d34.PNG

better!  i’m color-blind, so faint thin lines don’t appear to me.

yes, those knockouts are used for the truckmaster with fresh air option.  my ‘48 has both.

edit: and to not clutter this thread, i’ll post pics of the knockouts in my intro thread...

heater & fresh air package

Edited by wallytoo
  • Thanks 1

I think you only need the knockouts that match your heater ... they were all a option and installed at the dealer or as aftermarket.

So they supplied plenty of knockouts for options. I have never seen someone remove the knockout circled in black for a heater.

Possibly a specific heater required that hole?   After a few years around these trucks, never seen one removed.

Yes, sorry I edited that so quick I thought no one would catch the fact that the point size on the additional lines was so small.

Excellent, that's nice to know, now I'm wondering if, without unboxing my heater does it mount flush to the firewall, or is there an insert I may be missing?

It's been 32 years since I've seen this heater, and I vaguely remember the mounting bolts having stops welded on them so the heater stayed away from the firewall directly, of course after 32 years the mind does play tricks on you.

I really should unbox it, just to look at my handiwork when I was in my late twenties, I hope I don't need to redo it.

7 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

yeah maybe you should ... they have a mounting bracket with bolts and holds it where they need to be.

IMG_20170122_195144168.jpg

Yes that'll be on tomorrow's list

17 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

yeah maybe you should ... they have a mounting bracket with bolts and holds it where they need to be.

IMG_20170122_195144168.jpg

Why wait till tomorrow, when you still have sunlight today, so it looks like it's about two inch off the firewall is there anything that should be between it and the firewall if I do that pop out? Insulation?

And then another question, is there something that would switch between fresh-air and cab air?

20200816_194911_copy_1209x906.jpg.aa0cf45e8b8f7f95523e6e9e4dabc7dd.jpg

20200816_194932_copy_1209x1612.jpg.c2775ae5f35b3bc737063f688bb4a3d4.jpg

You can mount your heater as is and it will recirculate the air inside your cab. There were washer type foam rubber gaskets that slid on the water tubes that would seal out dust and outside air when you tightened the heater to the firewall. For that installation you would not remove the black circled knockout. Most heaters were installed in that fashion. 

If you find the fresh air option kit that was available for that heater, it came with a square shroud that was sandwiched between the heater core and the firewall. The black circled knockout would get removed and there was a round diverter valve that is mounted over that hole. Then a flexible duct was run from that diverter valve up to an inlet scoop of sorts that was mounted to the inside of the fender splash apron, beside the radiator support. The temperature control valve mounted to the top back of the engine head. 

There was also a defroster option that could be mounted to that heater. The controls for the fresh air diverter valve, the defroster, temperature control, and fan speed were mounted on a rectangular assembly that mounted under the left side of the dash. 

Sorry I don’t have any pictures at the moment. I’m at work. If no one else has pictures, I can try to take some this evening when I get off. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 53dodgegirl said:

Also looking to find the distrubutor number for NAPA.

There should be a tag riveted to the distributor body it will have the model type and serial number. It could be on the lower half of the distributor.

• Like 1

Welcome!  Always nice to see motivated people start a project with a family member.  Are you going for full resto, mod or hot rod?  Truck looks solid!

Looks like lots of modifications done over the years as people have pointed out.  MANY are common for our trucks (like the fender turn signals).  If you are looking for parts and suppliers check out this thread: 

Just not that if you are looking for parts you need to use the "classifieds section" of the forum and we don't want parts requests embedded in posts on the main forum (sorry my job as moderator here).

Interior looks nice!  The center rear view isn't stock, and sadly it looks like you are missing the plastic "DODGE" script that belongs in the center of the dash.  Those (along with the grill bars) are REALLY hard to find as they are not repopped.

Again, welcome and keep us up to date!

Here is a picture of optional Heater controls and original bracket. "Air"  is the cable that opened the butterfly valve on firewall to let air in from the scoop next to the radiator.

heater controls small.jpg

@B1B Keven that's pretty cool, first time have seen that option.

My 1rst B1C had the deluxe mopar heater with defroster and also the controls as showed above under the dash left of steering wheel.

I am not saying I would want that option, fresh air from the engine compartment of a 70 year old vehicle.

But it is still pretty interesting it was offered  :D

Well the complete set up has a hose (duct) going from that valve to a scoop to the right of the radiator. Wally's post shows that end.

I like the ground cable under the heater mounting bolt!

37 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

@B1B Keven that's pretty cool, first time have seen that option.

My 1rst B1C had the deluxe mopar heater with defroster and also the controls as showed above under the dash left of steering wheel.

I am not saying I would want that option, fresh air from the engine compartment of a 70 year old vehicle.

But it is still pretty interesting it was offered  :D

yah the inlet port is on the passenger side of the rad bracket, it gets air up front.

Thank you all, I DID NOT intend to Hijack this thread, 

did not think my question would garner such enthusiasm!

Sorry

A fresh air shroud was included with my Model 65. It looks like it fits perfectly between the heater and the firewall. The holes match up with the holes in the firewall.

The shroud I have is falling apart but I kept it as a reference piece in case I can somehow fabricate one in the future. It appears to be made of a very flimsy cardboard material stapled together. There's no way this type of thing could last more than a few years IMO. If I had all the pieces needed for the kit, I might try fabricating a new shroud out of 18 or 20 gage sheet metal along with a spongey edge of some kind to make it air tight.

20200818_094959_resized.jpg.6773c139ec65dbde912beb1b23afe5b0.jpg  20200818_095013_resized.jpg.bcfeb727f8182442fafb6f9dc801a459.jpg

20200818_095024_resized.jpg.722b314a60938441d3719c6b45a90e35.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 1

Makes sense there would be this part, to funnel air through heater core instead of having cold air leak out sides when Air valve/flapper is open. I have never seen this though. I am unclear how air gets in the back of the heater core when air valve is closed though if this shroud is in place.

It’s been a good while since I installed mine, but it was metal with a small rubber seal that slid over the edge and formed a seal between the edge of the shroud and the back of the heater core. Also, the shroud part is slightly smaller than the heater core so it still allows air to be circulated just inside the cab when the fresh air vent is closed. 

51 minutes ago, David A. said:

It’s been a good while since I installed mine, but it was metal with a small rubber seal that slid over the edge and formed a seal between the edge of the shroud and the back of the heater core. Also, the shroud part is slightly smaller than the heater core so it still allows air to be circulated just inside the cab when the fresh air vent is closed. 

My 51 had the same heater with fresh air and the mine was medal with rubber seal as well.