1940 dodge deluxe D14

Dryerventwizard

When I first built my 1940 Dodge with the 318 poly in 1973 I installed the rear end from the Oz 1962 Chrysler Royal which fitted fine......this rear end whilst used in the Oz Chrysler Royal with the V8 Poly from 1957 to 1962 was essentially from the USA sourced 1955/56 Plymouth or maybe even the US 53/54 Plymouth as that is what the 57-62 Royals here in Oz were based on.........the stock 1940 Dodge rear end would probably hold together behind a mild V8 of 318 or so but the ratio would not be good with an auto trans and a manual trans would give rise to giving the clutch a workout and therefore the rear end so if you are going to do a V8 swap then you may as well factor in a rear end swap as well....... after 30 yrs I ended up swapping the 62 Royal diff for one from a  1990's Oz Ford, worked out fine............andyd 

Nope, the rear axle is from a 1989-1997 Oz Ford Falcon station wagon, its a LSD Salisbury style made by Borg Warner, Australia and bolted straight onto the original Dodge rear springs, I noly had to drill 2 extra holes on the spring pad and the Falcon U bolts fitted as well, it comes with solid disc brakes and the same bolt pattern as the diff that was there a 1962 Oz Chrysler diff..........from what i understand the Jeep Cherokee or Dodge Dakota have rear axles that work quite well and are easily available in the US..........andyd 

1 hour ago, Dryerventwizard said:

Ok I will look for Cherokee  or dakota  and see if they are 60 inches or less.

There are full charts and measurements of Cherokee, Dakota, explorer, and mustang rears in the thread I linked.

Widths, gear ratios, you name it.

Several mustangs seem like a great choice for yours.