1950 BIB Flywheel Removal

I'm in the middle of dismantling a 1950 engine/Bell Housing. Engine/Transmission removed. Clutch removed. Crank nut removed Bell Housing-to-engine bolts removed. How in the world do I remove the flywheel. 2" nut in the center of the flywheel. But a 2" socket with a 3/4" airwrench won't remove it. Yes, there are a series of bolts on the rear of hte flywheel facing the engine. Do I remove them to remove the flywheel? Additionally, how do I remove the crank pulley with a three-legged puller w/o damaging the belt groove. Tried to use the puller, but appeared to be warping the engine side of the pulley. Thanks

Edited by Alan Hensley

My memory is a little fuzzy but as I recall, the flywheel is connected to the crankshaft with 4 or 8 bolts + nuts, and the transmission input shaft rides on a bushing through the flywheel into the crankshaft...the crankshaft pulley has the big threaded fastener, either a crankjaw to accommodate hand starting or just a big headed bolt...that crankshaft pulley should have two threaded holes to screw bolts into for a bar puller, not a jawed puller...gotta be careful not to thread those bolts into the timing chain cover or ya might perforate it  :cool:

Never seen a 2”nut on a flywheel. Do you have Fluid Drive? There is a large nut on those to retain the clutch drive plate, but you don’t want to remove that if you don’t need to. And if it is a Fluid Drive there are 8 studs with nuts on the block side of the crank flange. You’ll need a 5/8” open end wrench to remove them, then the FD unit can be removed as an assembly. Be careful, it’s heavy.

If you have a standard clutch/flywheel setup there would be 4 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank flange. 

Also, your thread title states 1950 B1B. A B1B wouldn’t have Fluid Drive, as that was introduced with the B2 series in 1950. Maybe your truck is a B2B? 

2 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Never seen a 2”nut on a flywheel. Do you have Fluid Drive? There is a large nut on those to retain the clutch drive plate, but you don’t want to remove that if you don’t need to. And if it is a Fluid Drive there are 8 studs with nuts on the block side of the crank flange. You’ll need a 5/8” open end wrench to remove them, then the FD unit can be removed as an assembly. Be careful, it’s heavy.

If you have a standard clutch/flywheel setup there would be 4 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank flange. 

Also, your thread title states 1950 B1B. A B1B wouldn’t have Fluid Drive, as that was introduced with the B2 series in 1950. Maybe your truck is a B2B? 

Is this also true with a B1C? just saying project cars in handle shows B1C and thread says B1B ?

If it is FD no real need to remove the driven plate nut...in fact do not remove it unless you have a damn good reason to and special tools.?

• Thanks 1

20200808_102631_1600x1198.JPG.52dcf4f7a2cb502482a6f27c8bb5a828.JPG

Thank you all SO MUCH! I will give your advice a try tomorrow. I have a 1949 B1C, and a 1950 B2B I am salvaging for parts to restore the 1949. The '49 has a three-speed transmission. The 50 has a 4-speed. Yes, the '50 has a fluid drive. The '50 was used at Fennel Auto in Missouri before they went out of business. and they made a lot of mods rather than buy the correct parts to make repairs. I would have liked to use the 4-speed instead of the 3-speed, but it is a mess. They welded a 1/4-inch frame around the top for some reason. so, think that is a no-go. The floorboard is rusted through. Just ordered a replacement floorboard and will use body panel adhesive and steel rivets, even though I have a plethora of welders. After watching videos, looks like the way to go to prevent warping and hours of stitch/spot welding. Thank you for the advice on the pulley. I will find the appropriate puller to pull it loose. Believe I can order it from Northern Tool. 

Edited by Alan Hensley