To drill or to weld?

Duskylady
Go to solution Solved by Andydodge,

To drill or to weld, that is the question. I am still working on my engine replacement in my 1941 Plymouth Sedan. The replacement engine is a tad newer and out of a truck. I found that the oil pan is different, front sump and I need a rear sump. Here is where I am stuck; the incorrect oil pan has a dipstick in it, the block does not.  Do I try to modify my correct oil pan and weld a dip stick in it or do I drill out the port in the engine that’s been welded shut? Is it okay/safe to drill the block?

Edited by Duskylady

Oh yeah, what am I thinking, for some reason I had the breather dipstick combo used on some other makes in my head....guess it's late.

Still s3ms like drilling would be easiest, even if I love an excuse to weld sheet metal.

• Like 1

• Solution

Duskylady.......... going by the pic you posted I'm also not sure that the hole has been welded.......looks just like a "plug" of some sort has been installed...........can you see the area where the plug is from underneath?..............if when looking from the bottom there also does not appear to be any welds or threads then I'd be inclined to try a gentle tap from the bottom with a steel/brass rob or drift about 5/16th diameter.........I have seen 2 types of dipsticks used, a "short" one that fitted straight into that hole and another that had a dipstick tube that was a pressfit from the top into that hole, this tube was about 6-8inches long and the correct dipstick to use with this tube had this extra 6-8inch length .............the more I look at your pic showing this blocked off hole the more that plug looks like just that.......a plug............but I'm 10,000 miles away so the view could be a little blurred........another thought..........just drill a small hole in the plug and screw a self tapping screw into it or insert an easyout tool.........hopefully it will undo the plug...............regards from Oz................andyd  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

It's probably a cup plug pressed into the dipstick hole, if so then you ought to be able to push it out from the bottom.

When I did this same swap that it exactly what I found. I believe I also just pushed it out from the back side but it was a long time ago

• Like 1

I did not see any weld threads from the bottom. It’s smooth. Sounds like I should go with that port rather than modifying the pan. I will take a peek at the old engine to see which dipstick was in there that I will be reusing.  Thank you for all the help. I will let you know how it turns out. 

• Like 1

I did not see any weld threads from the bottom. It’s smooth. Sounds like I should go with that port rather than modifying the pan. I will take a peek at the old engine to see which dipstick was in there that I will be reusing.  Thank you for all the help. I will let you know how it turns out.