Chinese Autolite spark plugs

I also have some decent boots, 90% of my day, I wake up get coffee, then walk out to attached garage and pretend am working on something, then in the afternoon head in and wash dishes and cook dinner. My steel toed leather boots while comfortable, they weigh too much and end of day glad to get them off.

Our jeans come from china, I can buy jeans from tractor supply, local  builders supply hardware store, walmart or the dollar store ... ALL $9.99 junk. Wash them a few times and they start falling apart.

Last year I made a couple pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dinner, set the pies on a cookie sheet so wont boil over & make a mess, as soon as the cookie sheets get to temp, they warp and twist, spilled the pie mixture all over the bottom of the oven and then burnt while cooking. Smoking out the kitchen.

Fill a brand new ice cube tray with water, carry to freezer with 2 hands, use one hand to open the door, the plastic tray breaks in 1/2 under the weight of the water.

Just all cheap China garbage, I know none of the above is car related, But it really does effect every part of our lives. I bought and installed a ceiling fan ... it lasted about 6 months. I need to tear it apart and repair it, or replace it.

We can complain about car parts, the issue is so much bigger then that.

Cheap junk fills the landfills up quicker...wears our garbage trucks out sooner...uses more fuel to move it to America and other countries..costs the taxpayers more tax $$$$...

more downtime to fix or buy something good...on and on and on...cheap no good crap is BAD!

Yeah....I've said enough?

• Like 2

...I agree, Buy  USMCA. ?

Edited by T120
changed text

There are many factors that go into why American companies outsource their manufacturing, not just increased margins but why the margins increase...a recent example that I dealt with was the American tooling for a widget was at the end of its service life, production volume was down substantially for that widget, and I had to assist with the cost analysis performed that was accompanied with a very detailed report as to quality effects of outsourcing, regulatory pressures for domestic production, comparisons with NAFTA production, etc...in the end, the big shots at corporate HQ opted to outsource to china, and it was a bleeping disaster for every reason that we warned about.  Did corporate bring production back stateside?  NOPE not enough margins to offset the investment, completely ignoring our subsequent sales losses...it sure looked like they wanted to kill that widget, even though it had carried the company for decades and still had our name on it, corporate didn't seem to care about the black eye it was giving us cuz we had higher margin sales that dwarfed that legacy widget...

When it comes to car parts, I'm afraid this scenario is playing out with the low volume, low margin products that support the antique auto market.  There are a finite number of domestic auto parts suppliers, and they prioritize margin sales, and that's for domestic auto manufacturers who demand JIT supply lines...the parts supplier manufacturers have to do their cost analyses to determine annual production, and quality parts for our old buggies might be an endangered species as well if they cannot justify the expense for low volume sales as long as they can generate more revenue for a higher volume product that can occupy their supply lines.  The consolidation of the many parts suppliers that existed decades ago into fewer companies that have opted to scale back production and close aging facilities rather than invest in long term growth has effectively brought us to this point of a race to the bottom in quality...SAD ??

My Red Wing steel toes are doing great still after 2 years of life and daily use (have to wear steel toes at the plant for work). I'll get a few more years out of them now likely since we can't go to the plant unless deemed "required" for the forseable future.  Meanwhile when the option comes up again, I'll get another pair.  I tend to wear them at home as well when working on TODD as well or doing cabinet installs!  :)

I've bought a couple of pairs of Chippewa boots in the last few years. I wanted boots made in the USA, paid a little more but I like them.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Red Wing and Wolverine, both good American made work boots, although I'm currently wearing Sketchers steel toe boots. Not sure where they're made. 

sounds like they are made a Sketchy place!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to re-visit this thread. I ordered this today

cap1.jpg

Exactly what I was hoping for, somebody out of their shop making a quality condenser.

Not exactly cheap but if you going through 4 or 5 to find one that works, then you carry 2 spares just in case the cheap China fails, And you hope you are not walking home ... you would actually save money by buying a good one in the first place ... only 4 years old but claims no failures yet.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, Merle Coggins said:

Red Wing and Wolverine, both good American made work boots, although I'm currently wearing Sketchers steel toe boots. Not sure where they're made. 

I wore Redwing boots, the Irish Setters for 30+ years until I discovered they were made in China now.

I found Thorogood boots matches them in quality and are made in USA.

Round house work clothes are  as good as Carhart and are made here.

• Like 2

I have been stock piling old new stock usa blue streak parts off ebay for my 1974 amc 258 I have more caps and rotors and such than I will live long enough to use. It gives me a nice warm feeling looking at those old boxes with new parts in them some I paid less for than if I had just gone to auto zone.

• Like 1

Same problem, different animal. Us guys in the Willys jeep world run from anything from omix ada or crown-all chi com junk. I have had real good performance with nos blue streak ign parts.

Edited by Rickg

On 9/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, Los_Control said:

I just wanted to re-visit this thread. I ordered this today

cap1.jpg

Exactly what I was hoping for, somebody out of their shop making a quality condenser.

Not exactly cheap but if you going through 4 or 5 to find one that works, then you carry 2 spares just in case the cheap China fails, And you hope you are not walking home ... you would actually save money by buying a good one in the first place ... only 4 years old but claims no failures yet.

Part number and source please??

39 minutes ago, Rickg said:

Part number and source please??

I want to say is more of a individual who was fed up with crap and decided to do something about it.

Appears to have a company name, but we can all make up a name.

His nickname  is "tubman" Easy to pm on the H.A.M.B or the Ford barn website. He said he tried to advertise here a few years ago and was no interest so stopped hanging around.

Showing a photo of the package he sent me. I think the quality is awesome, you could put it on a show car and be proud. I am guessing, the top of the brass canister will screw off, and all the magic happens inside, If the magic inside is 1/2 as good as the exterior quality, it should be a life time condenser.

If something happens, you could also open it up and repair it 10 years from now.

Looking at the photo, it is twice the diameter and twice the length of a stock replacement condenser. It does need to be mounted outside the distributor.

It was designed and built to be mounted outside.

I plan to mount it on my dodge on the coil bracket, will look right at home there.

Just contact tubman on the HAMB and set things up with him .... he also sells tachs to work with 6 volt + ground.

1006202030.jpg