Chinese Autolite spark plugs

Not much of anything is made in America anymore...

Very Sad?

May be a good time to start making products in USA again .... How about condensers for our old cars.

What would it take to setup a shop just to make a good quality condenser? I really have no idea whats involved in making one.

Start  with a single condenser for old mopars and make them good. I bet you would be selling them for a profit all over the world.

Of course the same condenser will work on several other model vehicles ... later when prepared add more tooling and another model condenser. Widen the market.

For the right person, might be a good way to spend some time. Look at the my pillow guy ... pick one item and make it the best.

If someone had a ambitious son or grandson that was full of energy and wanted to get involved, You could easily expand into a product with more demand.

With todays administration deregulating and changing tax laws, encouraging to bring back manufacturing, Today may be a good time to jump in.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Not much of anything is made in America anymore...

Very Sad?

Most people just buy what is cheapest in cost and often get cheapest in quality. Until consumers are prepared to pay a higher price for quality North American goods (I include Canada in making good products) nothing will change. I always look first for North American but you cannot always find what you want and are forced into buying from overseas. Although some overseas products are just fine, a lot are junk. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Most people just buy what is cheapest in cost and often get cheapest in quality. Until consumers are prepared to pay a higher price for quality North American goods (I include Canada in making good products) nothing will change.

I think people are ready. In my example above on condensers, I would bet just about all the vendors like dcm, bernbaum etc would add them to their line at a higher cost.

Yesterday in the Ford barn the subject came up again, guy went through 5 new condensers to find 1 that worked, he caries a known good spare mounted on the coil ready to be wired if needed and another in the glove box. People would gladly pay for a known quality product.

If I ask 10 people I know, I bet 5 or more are sleeping with a my pillow. They are willing to pay a few dollars more for a better product. I love mine and will replace with same when needed.

I guess what I really mean here, It depends on what happens in November. We in USA could be on the verge of a new industrial revolution. Just bringing steel manufacturing back to USA, these are billion dollar plants that are going to require heavy maintenance. Equipment will break, they will want local suppliers for parts immediately. Not wait for parts sent from over seas.

Bringing pharmaceutical makers back to USA, Kodak of all people ... These companies will have special needs for local supplies.

With the changes to bring auto manufacturing back to USA, they will have special needs. Perfect opportunity for some person with ambition.

With USA putting tariffs on China, Companies are moving out and going to other places, we complain now about getting poor quality parts, soon we may not be able to even get them. Already supply chain has been affected. 1 year from now we may not be able to buy a condenser from over seas, at any price you would be the cheapest.

I think this all effects Canada also, I just feel there is a opportunity opening up for those who might take advantage of it.

So I have been following the various posts on both side of the forum about the quality of the China electrical parts for our older cars/trucks. As we all know the good old USA made components were all of a better quality even after they were made some 50+ years ago.

So most of the owners wait until they have a problem with the electrical system, dizzy, condensore, rotor,point, cap etc.  And then they go to one of the suppliers that we all know and there are several of them that are using aftermarket products becasue this is that they can get.

BUT and this is a BIG BUT.

The real older antique owners are willing to get the appropriate documentation to support their cars/trucks and they have gone to the swap meets and look for the good old american made compnenets.  They have invested inthe necessary catalogs such as Autolite, Echlin, Blue Streak, Standard, Delco, Borg Wanrer and so on.  They understand that knowing the correct part is important and they go looking for the older internal parts and not use the new junk repo parts.

But her is the BUT, the newer guys do not want to invest in information they just want to call someone and have a part sent to them and just put it in the car.  This even goes to as far as even getting a parts and service manual for you car/truck. They want everyone to do it for them it is the age of provide me with the info right now and not take th einterest in getting and having the info ready when they need it.  So alwasy stress when someone is askign a question or for a part number if they have the parts book or the service manual for their vehicle and most of the time they do not.

This is why I have collected the various catalogs for my own education and also to know what is the good old replacement parts. When someone is looking for these pats I also informed them that I have the catalogs at a reason price, and again BUT, they never take the opportunity to get the catalog so that when they go to a swap meet they can get spares and have quality spares ready to be used.  Ihave learned over the years that you should have a box with the following electrical components, cap, points, condensor, rotor, breaker plate, light bulbs a couple of spare spark plugs inyour tool kit inthe car.

Most of the owners do not have these things.  So the disapointment with the chinesse crap continues but nobody takes the initiative to go get the good old USA components or to even lean about their cars/trucks.

I am an old school antique car owner and have learned from the older guys and how they took a complete car to did the reto. now adays they just ship out to a repair guy and do not want to get their hands dirty or even learn. Too much money. If you have an antique car/truck sometime you will have to get your hands greasey when onthe road.

Comment welcome  us old guys still have alot of good old knowledge and information to part out to the younger generation.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Most people just buy what is cheapest in cost and often get cheapest in quality. Until consumers are prepared to pay a higher price for quality North American goods (I include Canada in making good products) nothing will change. I always look first for North American but you cannot always find what you want and are forced into buying from overseas. Although some overseas products are just fine, a lot are junk. 

You can still pay the highest price for an item after searching for only the best only to find out it's still inferior and the see that tiny hidden label..

"Made in China"

I never look for cheap stuff that I need in my projects..

I want good quality and am willing to pay for it. Better not be Chi-com junk.

Guess I'm the odd ball.

Yeah try to find a good condenser these days or points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Rich. I have way too many old manuals and try to buy original made back in the day in the good old USA parts. The problem I see is with condensers. They can degrade over time just sitting on the shelf. I do try to use original condensers but don't have the faith in them I do in other NOS ignition parts. So has anyone had good luck with ANY modern condensers?

Pete

17 hours ago, 50mech said:

Sure pertronix ignitor....made in USA

Yeah 50mech!  You're going to start another debate with that comment. Lols!  Are you certain they're made in the USA? My Pertronix install is coming to a close, but I have a couple breaker plates with NOS points and condensers ready to go back in just in case.

I  believe in using quality components and willing to pay for them, but as others have suggested, it's becoming difficult to determine what is good and what is not. What is real and what is fake. It's difficult to determine country of origin on products. I want to know where stuff is made, so I can make a choice. Certainly some stuff coming from Asia is of acceptable quality. It just seems disheartening that so many iconic American brands have sold out or off-shored their products there. In my opinion, this is a complex issue with many at fault.  Most Americans have become used to, and tolerant of, cheap products. Throw away mentality!  Greed for profits at the top of corporations. Inadequate (lack of / too much of) government regulation has incentivized companies to offshore. I do believe world trade is a good thing. Competition is good for quality and pricing. Remember how the Japanese car companies woke up Detroit? BUT, Both Industry and Government have been looking the other way when it comes to dealing with a communist dictatorship such as China. They wanted market access to the largest populous on earth. They wanted to make their products without having to deal with environmental concerns, unions, and human rights issues, where they can't be sued. So, by looking the other way, even while knowing the Chinese government is actively supporting industrial espionage along with a mission to undermine democratic values. They're beating us at our own game by having injected capitalism into their communist system. Becoming a rich powerful nation without democratic principals will cost us much more in the long run.

Having a manufacturing career as a Tool and Die-maker, I have witnessed first hand the gradual decline of skilled labour over the last 40+ years. We are losing the ability to build things and do them correctly.  There are no longer any formal apprenticeships or schools teaching Tool and Die in my area. Like Rich Hartung suggests, many want someone else to do the work. Like Plymouthy says "no visionaries". I think we have become lazy from too much success of the past. Hopefully, like Los Control suggests, we will wise up?

PT81 for President!  Lols!

51 minutes ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Yeah 50mech!  You're going to start another debate with that comment. Lols!  Are you certain they're made in the USA? My Pertronix install is coming to a close, but I have a couple breaker plates with NOS points and condensers ready to go back in just in case.

I  believe in using quality components and willing to pay for them, but as others have suggested, it's becoming difficult to determine what is good and what is not. What is real and what is fake. It's difficult to determine country of origin on products. I want to know where stuff is made, so I can make a choice. Certainly some stuff coming from Asia is of acceptable quality. It just seems disheartening that so many iconic American brands have sold out or off-shored their products there. In my opinion, this is a complex issue with many at fault.  Most Americans have become used to, and tolerant of, cheap products. Throw away mentality!  Greed for profits at the top of corporations. Inadequate (lack of / too much of) government regulation has incentivized companies to offshore. I do believe world trade is a good thing. Competition is good for quality and pricing. Remember how the Japanese car companies woke up Detroit? BUT, Both Industry and Government have been looking the other way when it comes to dealing with a communist dictatorship such as China. They wanted market access to the largest populous on earth. They wanted to make their products without having to deal with environmental concerns, unions, and human rights issues, where they can't be sued. So, by looking the other way, even while knowing the Chinese government is actively supporting industrial espionage along with a mission to undermine democratic values. They're beating us at our own game by having injected capitalism into their communist system. Becoming a rich powerful nation without democratic principals will cost us much more in the long run.

Having a manufacturing career as a Tool and Die-maker, I have witnessed first hand the gradual decline of skilled labour over the last 40+ years. We are losing the ability to build things and do them correctly.  There are no longer any formal apprenticeships or schools teaching Tool and Die in my area. Like Rich Hartung suggests, many want someone else to do the work. Like Plymouthy says "no visionaries". I think we have become lazy from too much success of the past. Hopefully, like Los Control suggests, we will wise up?

PT81 for President!  Lols!

Sure? Not entirely....and I suspect the components are not.

However, I will say this;

Having had several of my own designs manufactured in China on a small scale I noticed one thing when searching for suppliers and tracking the actual manufacturers of existing products.

If there is a market for your item and it is made in china the factory making them or the factory next door will make extra and make it available for any number of people to rebrand at will. 

I've not noticed any off brand pertronix so I suspect they are in fact assembled here in at least a large enough part to necessitate r+d in order to make working copies.

If I could make one improvement though it would be a cutout relay for them,so they would automatically shut off if you're in run and not running the motor.

That kills basically every one I've seen die that was wired correctly to begin with.

Suppose I could easily start wiring them in with one though.

2 minutes ago, 50mech said:

Sure? Not entirely....and I suspect the components are not.

However, I will say this;

Having had several of my own designs manufactured in China on a small scale I noticed one thing when searching for suppliers and tracking the actual manufacturers of existing products.

If there is a market for your item and it is made in china the factory making them or the factory next door will make extra and make it available for any number of people to rebrand at will. 

I've not noticed any off brand pertronix so I suspect they are in fact assembled here in at least a large enough part to necessitate r+d in order to make working copies.

If I could make one improvement though it would be a cutout relay for them,so they would automatically shut off if you're in run and not running the motor.

That kills basically every one I've seen die that was wired correctly to begin with.

Suppose I could easily start wiring them in with one though.

I'm curious of why you decided to manufacture in China?  Just cost? Where there no other alternatives?

I'll have to re-read the documents that came with my Ignitor 2. I think I read they are protected from leaving the key on? I believe that's not the case with Ignitor 1? Are you saying there is a cutout relay that could be installed in the circuit easily that would correct this issue?  I certainly have left the key on more than one occasion when my points where installed.  Wait a minute!  Who makes these cutout relays?  Lols!

45 minutes ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

I'm curious of why you decided to manufacture in China?  Just cost? Where there no other alternatives?

I'll have to re-read the documents that came with my Ignitor 2. I think I read they are protected from leaving the key on? I believe that's not the case with Ignitor 1? Are you saying there is a cutout relay that could be installed in the circuit easily that would correct this issue?  I certainly have left the key on more than one occasion when my points where installed.  Wait a minute!  Who makes these cutout relays?  Lols!

Both cost and a lack of alternatives.

One item was quoted around 20k by American companies just  to produce the 3d model from a hand built cross sectioned prototype.

It cost $250 to get the model done and a sample produced in china from a few scans and dimensions.

The other no American company would touch for my run size and at their minimum ran 6 times the cost per piece.

6k vs the $100 I ended up spending.

Others were because I'd already dealt with the companies and received a very satisfactory product in very quick time.

For the on topic portion;

I was just thinking...for condensers, why not buy a mil spec or aerospace axial lead capacitor?..lots of American  companies to choose from.

At the cost of the inconvenience to solder a lead wire and fit it to the mounting bracket you'd have a forever condenser.

I'm not sure about the ignitor2 but yeah 1 can burn up if left on.

There's no plug in cutout relay made for it but;

The cutout would be a matter of wiring it to the VR and solenoid so only running or cranking it would get power.

Except in the case of an alternator where you could use a number of other circuits to accomplish the task. Transistor and a diode between alternator and battery come to mind.

Edited by 50mech
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 50mech said:

I was just thinking...for condensers, why not buy a mil spec or aerospace axial lead capacitor?..lots of American  companies to choose from.

At the cost of the inconvenience to solder a lead wire and fit it to the mounting bracket you'd have a forever condenser.

Some of us drive old mopars and not smart enough to figure that out   :P

Been a big issue for years, if someone could create a way to bypass the issue ... I think we call that the American way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Some of us drive old mopars and not smart enough to figure that out   :P

Been a big issue for years, if someone could create a way to bypass the issue ... I think we call that the American way.

I guess that's my homework...source a good mil spec cap at I think .33uF .....

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 50mech said:

Both cost and a lack of alternatives.

One item was quoted around 20k by American companies just  to produce the 3d model from a hand built cross sectioned prototype.

It cost $250 to get the model done and a sample produced in china from a few scans and dimensions.

The other no American company would touch for my run size and at their minimum ran 6 times the cost per piece.

6k vs the $100 I ended up spending.

Others were because I'd already dealt with the companies and received a very satisfactory product in very quick time.

For the on topic portion;

I'm not sure about the ignitor2 but yeah 1 can burn up if left on.

There's no plug in cutout relay made for it but;

The cutout would be a matter of wiring it to the VR and solenoid so only running or cranking it would get power.

Except in the case of an alternator where you could use a number of other circuits to accomplish the task. Transistor and a diode between alternator and battery come to mind.

Sounds like great ideas! Especially so, if you source from the U.S. Why didn't you think of this before I installed Pertronix with Chinese components? Lols!  

Back on topic! Lols! Competition is good, and I certainly can't blame you for getting a deal, but the Chinese don't play fair. They manipulate currency and subsidize manufacturing along with all the other stated stuff in order to dominate world markets. I've seen many items that are so ridiculously low priced and shipped from the other side of world at less than the material costs here. Does not take a genius to figure what's going on stinks. They are persistent and little by little have inundated, stolen, and are diluting our technical prowess.  Much of our now consumer driven economy is reliant on their products. I doubt it's even possible for us to divest at this point?  Any Chinese members reading this, please don't be offended. I work at a major university and am friendly with many Chinese students. I have no issue with hard working people. I do have issue with the Chinese government. Anyhow, sorry for the political crap I started! Being interested in history and knowing totalitarianism is on the rise worries me for my children and grandchildren's sake.  Maybe I worry too much? My neighbour (an Englishman) tells my "no worries! We used to be the rulers of the world and we're still here drinking pints". Lols!                

Anyone have the measurements for the condenser handy?

I've got leads on several poly film caps which would be light years ahead of the aluminum electrolytic used as a condenser , do the same job, not lose electrolyte, not be so susceptible to vibration, and likely last the life of four cars.

Just trying to match package size.

Edited by 50mech

11 hours ago, 50mech said:

Anyone have the measurements for the condenser handy?

I've got leads on several poly film caps which would be light years ahead of the aluminum electrolytic used as a condenser , do the same job, not lose electrolyte, not be so susceptible to vibration, and likely last the life of four cars.

Just trying to match package size.

I have two on the bench. #s IG-3927-A and IG-3927G. The 2 cans both measure 11/16 (.6875) in diameter and average 1.67 long. If you add the boss where the wire protrudes, the overall length is about 1.750. These condensers have a welded on bracket with 3 holes. One for a mounting screw the other two for alignment on the breaker plate.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:44 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

You can still pay the highest price for an item after searching for only the best only to find out it's still inferior and the see that tiny hidden label..

"Made in China"

I never look for cheap stuff that I need in my projects..

I want good quality and am willing to pay for it. Better not be Chi-com junk.

Guess I'm the odd ball.

Yeah try to find a good condenser these days or points.

Ok Rob, I’m starting to think you don’t care for China built parts LOL, 

hey, good news, last condenser I bought at Napa said “made in Mexico”

but come to think about it, it was probably made in China and assembled in Mexico ?

• Haha 1

Yea Brent...

I'm not a fan of anything Chinese anymore?

Not happy with the car parts ... what about shoes? A few years ago you could buy a decent pair of tenny runners, now it is all thin crap that hurt your feet.

Buy a cheap scrubber sponge for washing dishes, they use to be 3/4" thick and worked ... now they are 3/8" and crap.

Duct tape, that stuff is/was great, today need to go to a plumbing supply store to get it ... all other stores offer crap paper thin.

Everything is just getting worse and worse.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Not happy with the car parts ... what about shoes? A few years ago you could buy a decent pair of tenny runners, now it is all thin crap that hurt your feet.

Buy a cheap scrubber sponge for washing dishes, they use to be 3/4" thick and worked ... now they are 3/8" and crap.

Duct tape, that stuff is/was great, today need to go to a plumbing supply store to get it ... all other stores offer crap paper thin.

Everything is just getting worse and worse.

Don’t know about the tennies but I am a fan of my boots, Spendy but worth it!!

this pair lasted me over a year. (Compared to the 4-6mo for cheaper brands) 

63B7BB2C-4AC3-4B40-8219-5803F77548FF.jpeg.7256417a47bb9af83c82706d87531c8e.jpeg

I am with Rob, I am willing to pay for quality  (Just wish they would hold up to the chain saw LOL)

• Like 1

Union Made?

In the Us?

Rare!

How old are those?

Getting hard to find these days and I will save up to purchase same if that is what it takes and can locate.

DJ