Shocks

WPVT

The subject of shocks for 50's Dodge pickups has been covered here pretty well, with some valuable research. I need shocks for my 1954 C-1-B, and I am still scratching my head.

I looked for a shock absorber specification that had an 11/16" mounting bore and came up with only one candidate, Monroe 66818. The center to center  length on my existing shocks is 

11 7/8" minimum, 19 1/8" maximum. The 66858 is pretty close. It is advertised, however, as being suitable for medium to heavy trucks. That's not a 1/2 ton pickup in my opinion. Could be pretty stiff.

All the other shocks I am looking at (Monroe, Gabriel) offer 5/8" and 3/4" steel bushed bores. I don't see how they could work with my 11/16" mounting. Do I need to ream out the 5/8" bushings in order to find a suitable shock ?

Edited by WPVT

I'm not seeing anything online regarding the Monroe 66818 so I'm not sure if they are even available for purchase...if you look at the specs for the Monroe 66858 and Gabriel 82065, you'll find they are very close to what you have...Gabriel even lists the 82065 as used on the '54...as far as stiffness, these variety of shocks are used on light trucks so you might find them acceptable :cool:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JBNeal said:

Which of the two is for the front?  Or does the same shock absorber fit either front or  rear?

Edited by lonejacklarry