1935 Desoto Airflow Discussion

keithb7

Keith, Forum member, austinsailor, bought a 1936 DeSoto Airflow in Seattle,Washington about 5 or 6 years back. He may have some suggestions on what to look for, if and when you inspect the Airflow...?

• Like 1

Hey Keith, maybe if you have a friend that's a car guy take him along.  Probably too much to ask if you had one that knew these cars, lol.

He shouldn't get emotionally attached and might help you keep a clear head about the actual condition of the car, though I must say the pics are showing a very nice one.

Heck, I'm getting excited about it, lol.

Sorry to keep you hanging guys. I’m traveling today. Also visiting family out of town. So little time to post here. 

I passed on the Desoto. It was too far gone. I’d be trying to restore it for the rest of my life. It takes a lot of passion to tear a car down to the last bolt, then spend 10 years working on restoring it with few rewards. 

I am glad I went to view it. Pics and description only get you so far. I prefer to  see these old cars in person. 

I have some cool stories to tell.I had a great day. The seller owned several vintage cars. Brass era. One with a Knight sleeve engine. Stand by for a full video and report. Thanks for the assistance here. Much appreciated. This Desoto will find a new home. I’m sure. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

Gotta admit I'm kinda disappointed.☹️ However, you've seen the car and made an informed decision based on what you saw. It looked pretty decent in the pictures but pictures only tell so much. Looking forward to any videos of the cars you saw today. Those Knight sleeve engines are pretty unique. I've never seen one but have read about how they work.

I'm 71 and if I was a bit younger, I'd be interested in the car. I've done two total restorations to old cars and it is almost overwhelming at times. I did the '38 Chrysler which I have since sold and the '51 Dodge D39 business coupe. Both were basket cases to begin with, especially the '38. I sometimes feel I have one more restoration left in me and sometimes think I'm crazy to even think of doing another one. It is rewarding though when finished. Hope the Airflow finds a good home.

38andBridge2.jpg.4a5d7513fad57b9021009bf4912bf170.jpg

596412055_DSCN8315-Copy.JPG.ef12f6ee602c9938935bc833baf10016.JPG

06190B35-D628-439B-81D0-4CA1351C3C0F.jpeg.1c8d9293d6e4499cd1135874576d9aaa.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 4

For those interested, I did produce a video on the 1935 Desoto, and the emotions that often can come with our car hobby.  This is more about the choices we have to make and how we bond with our cars. There is some footage on the Desoto, however limited. The car is still for sale and out of respect for the seller (a real decent person), I did not go into the details of why I passed on the Desoto. I did not want go into exactly what I saw when I viewed the car. Possibly hurting his prospects of a sale.

I had the support of the members here, my family and a good "Mopar Lover" friend. I have no regrets. I feel I made the right decision. I get into that more, in the video.

Thanks folks. - K

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 6

Keith,  Thanks for the video of the Airflow.  I shared your anguish about that car as I'd love to own a car like that too.  But the commitment required to totally restore something like that requires either a very deep pocketbook, or as you said a decade of your spare time.  I've looked at many cars of the 29 - 31 era in the Mopar line that I'd like to own, but I don't want to pay 6 or 7 thousand for a car that will need ten years of my spare time.  At age 70, I don't have that kind of energy anymore.  So, bottom line, as nice a car as all Airflows are, I think you made the right decision.  

• Like 3

Sure glad that car is not closer to me. I watched the video and totally understand your reasoning but I don’t think I could have resisted. 

Regarding welding, I took a course on MIG welding at our local college as I knew the rockers and floors on my ‘51 Dodge D39 needed work. I learned enough to be able to do that work and was pleased enough with the results. I don’t like body work so I farmed that and the paint to a local guy who will only work on old cars. I did most of the mechanicals myself but did farm the engine to an old rebuilder familiar with the flatheads. Upholstery was farmed out also.

73B2FCA5-C861-4330-BD6A-57BBCB16766E.jpeg.12a02cee0ab429240d7914fdb5a4a805.jpeg

All cost a bit but I love the result. Six years of retirement to complete and only worked when I wanted to. 

I’ve always said you can’t take your money with you. I also rent a double garage to store a couple of cars when needed. 

This is why I am glad the car is not closer. At 71, I don’t really want another project but would be tempted with the Airflow. 

Gonna PM you. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I totally understand @RobertKB. I replied to your PM. If you get close to a deal let me know. I may be able to assist with a 20 ft flat deck trailer and my Dodge Diesel 3/4T truck.Maybe we could work something out. Depending on what 

you’d normally do to get it to your area.  Southern Alberta Correct?  

Keith