1935 Desoto Airflow Discussion

keithb7

Keith, this is an opportunity that will probably only

come once in a lifetime. The car in your photo

looks like a candidate for an AACA HPOF award

as it sits (less the 49 PLym. rear bumper).

1 hour ago, sidevalvepete said:

Your 38 is very similar to my 38 D9 Dodge and you have got such pleasure out of motoring it and bringing it up to being a really good reliable vehicle. These late 30s Chrysler Corp vehicles with their simplicity and excellent design and engineering gave people across the globe access to affordable, reliable motor cars. They are a buzz to go cruising in, as you well know.

I am sure you would find the Airflow to be like your Plymouth on steroids. The same quality of engineering but next level in design for it's day. If you can find a place for it, go for it!! 

You guys are saying some really great things. I like what I am hearing from everyone. As I expected coming to this forum, not 1 old Mopar lover here so far, has suggested I don't acquire this Airflow. :lol:  I'm waiting on more info to come in on the car. In the mean time, here's another pic... Look at that hood ornament!

Am I correct to assume that when stock, a 35 Airflow car would not have any turn signals? 

IMG_1310a.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Nope...no turn signals.

One thing I should tell you to do is to find out what is not original on the car, and then determine if it would be possible to buy the correct parts.  I can tell you right now that you don't have original bumpers on that 35 Airflow.  The rear bumper is from a 49 Plymouth, and the front bumper is from a 34 Chrysler Airflow.  Make sure the engine and trans are original.  I just purchased a 1935 DeSoto color brochure and put some of its pages on the Nat. DeSoto Club's Facebook page.  On the DeSoto, the overdrive transmission was optional, so it would be a plus if this car had it.  The dash looks original which is a big plus.  Beautiful dash and interiors in these cars.  I think they are just beautiful cars period.  Some might call them ugly, but when I compare an Airflow to a Packard or a Cord, my God, those are the ugly cars, not DeSoto Airflows.  Put them side by side and you will see what I mean.  First pic is a 34 Chrysler Airflow.  Second pic is a 34 DeSoto Airflow.  3rd pic is a 35 DeSoto Airflow.  Fourth pic is a 36 DeSoto Airflow.  

34_chrysler_airflow_front.jpg

1934_Desoto_Airflow.jpg

1935_DeSoto_Airflow_(5986948639).jpg

36-DeSoto-Airflow-DV-09_GC_001.jpg

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 1

This website has some very good photos of a 1935 DeSoto SG 4 Door SN 9603496 sold at rmsothebys October 2019...

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf19/hershey/lots/r0184-1935-desoto-airflow-sedan/805874

( Incidentally, I looked up the SN info in one of my books - The SN indicates a 1935 DeSoto SG built in Canada...Serial numbers

SN 9603436 - SN 9603544)

Edited by T120
Added SN Info

I would have to say go for it and sort out the details later. A great car, very advanced for it's time and once in a lifetime opportunity for most people - I dream of finding an Airflow. Keep the 38 (yes I am biased) and sell the 53 which was out of date when it was first sold.

Per Marc DeSoto above - I'd do some research on this model and when you go to see it, check that it has all the right trim items. The mechanical stuff I would guess is available. Its the soft and hard trim parts - chrome and glass, door handles arm rests, lenses etc that are probably difficult to find.

(I'd still buy it if you want one. I think they are cool and way advanced for their time.)

I'll chime in with buy it...regardless of how rare some parts are, especially if the car is in the 90's percent complete.  Yes, some parts may be a challenge, or impossible to find, but you'll have a relatively rare car, in what looks like really good original shape.  I'm pretty sure you'll regret it later if you don't get it.  You can always unload it later if it turns out not to be your cup of tea.  I've got a '37 Terraplane, although not rare, per se, it is still a challenge to source Terraplane specific parts.  But it's also a car I spent a good 10 years looking for, and knew the challenges going in.  That Airflow is just about falling in your lap.  

I didn't see Keith posts any asking price and I am in favor of his getting the DeSoto as he'd be a good caretaker, imo.  But I am reminded of what my Dad used to say "money's no object, he's paying".  I figure Keith knows his finances better than us, but my Dad's saying popped to mind.  My only caution was to have him consider what any missing and unique to the Airflow parts might end up costing him as part of the ownership of it.

I'd say to Keith-

If you can afford the money and not cost you a wife-

Rent someones old building for storage until?  More garage?

A car for each of the  4 seasons of the year is not to much to ask of life is it?  That Chrysler is a very nice winter driver (as long as the roads are not salted!).  That leaves room for one more!?

JMO,

wishful thinking in there somewhere!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 2

I have been keeping the details on the sell price to myself as the deal is far from done. I've had second thoughts about sharing the photos too. However in the spirit of keeping the thread interesting to everyone, I relented.  I also know that the photos will attract a good level of participation here. So far the goup's participation has been great and I appreciate it very much.

I proposed the car transaction here to learn the good and bad points about Airflow ownership. There is a lot of good knowledge here among the membership. I put a lot of value on this group's advice. The thread has proven valuable to me. I am still awaiting more details on the car, from the seller.  It's a fair commitment to travel to see the car. Before I do that, I await the current owner's details on the car's condition. I have good reason to believe he's a solid guy and will offer full disclosure (to his knowledge) on the car. If that comes together, and I like what I learn, I'll then plan a trip to personally view it. At that time, a good thorough inspection by me, may reveal more unknowns. Like missing parts. Condition of major components. Etc. I'll get a better grasp on what I really would be getting into.

If ya'll are interested I'll share my adventure as it unfolds. If it unfolds...The Airflow deal could be dead already at this point, as I am waiting for next steps. Fingers crossed I'll hear back soon.

These old cars come with emotions. No they are not just cars to most of us here. Somehow this Airflow gives me the ability to own and enjoy my very own piece of Chrysler's legacy. Arguably the pinnacle of Chrysler engineering, the Airflow.

Keith

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

The 35 Desoto that T120 referred to at Sotheby's auction has 34 Chrysler bumpers.  I don't think the DeSoto factory ever used them on DeSotos, but that's a question for the Airflow Club.  I'm guessing that Airflow bumpers are so rare, that you have to use what is available if the correct bumpers are not available.  

MarcDeSoto, I was curious about that as well and as there were only 108 total DeSoto SG models built in Canada for the 1935 model year if that may account for a difference in bumpers fitted??...

The Serial Number  of the 1935 DeSoto SG I referred to in post #30 would indicate it was built in Canada. 

1853372446_SN...1935DeSotoSGCanadian(1).jpg.ba0cb2cc7dc9abdcb9e49c5856d3c549.jpg996430994_SN...1935DeSotoSGCanadian(2).jpg.9521a9f8b84b401fe2a651ce8de927ef.jpg

Edited by T120
added text

22 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Yes, who knows?  The Canadian DeSoto might have had 34 Chrysler bumpers maybe to use up the excess bumpers available from 1934?

I suppose it is possible...I have the 1935  Canadian DeSoto Parts List Manual for the SF and SG.  While it has the part numbers, the manual has few illustrations and none for the bumpers.I don't have anything that I can use to cross reference the numbers.

Keith, I'm sure you will put sufficient thought and research  into the possible purchase of the Airflow...I have more than one vehicle.For me as I'm sure with others it's not about making money and as you have mentioned in the past owning an old car is a hobby - hobbies cost money...Have to be careful however not to get too carried away with enthusiasm,with a realistic view on a vehicle's condition and worth as it sits,keeping in mind that the purchase price is only the beginning.My view on the old car hobby is, I've never bought a car with the idea, I can make a few bucks. If I was in the business of making money in this hobby,I would quickly be bankrupt.I have to confess, I've paid more than others would have for a vehicle.

The appeal of  certain vehicles is kind of personal,and without meaning to upset anyone, GM and Ford have built some really nice cars and trucks,but I have never liked the 1957 Chevrolet since they were new back in the day and I walk by them at a car show...and that is why I will never make a dime  enjoying this hobby.?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

T120,  That 36 DeSoto coupe sounds really nice and I have only rarely, maybe never, seen a 36 DeSoto in the last 40 years of being in this hobby.  

They are rare, just over 900 all models of the S1 built in Canada,more in the U.S..I've only seen two up close over the years - my coupe and a sedan in Montana.

Quietly waiting still. The seller is not in a hurry. So I will not be pushy. I am not in a hurry either, to buy....Unless I get to reading all your posts here, getting me wound up about this car. LOL.

An opportunity such as this, I will handle carefully. Patiently. It's well worth the wait.

@T120This Airflow is not about the money, or a flip for me. I enjoy the hobby a lot. I am sold on early Chrysler engineering. The car needs a great home. Someone who will take great care of it. Drive it. Show it. Someone who will educate the public about its incredible history. I wanna be that guy.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

Full details with many photos arrived.  Unfortunately there is no overdrive, as it was optional on this 35 Desoto.

There were indeed only 108 of this model Desoto built in Canada in 1935. How many were exported out, and how many actually remained in Canada? I don't know. What I do know is in the National Airflow registry there are three Canadian built 1935 Desotos. This car is one of the three. Due to low production numbers a mix of some Chrysler and Desoto parts were used during production. An auction sale from 2016 Barrett Jackson, a nicely restored 1935 Desoto 4 dr sedan sold for $35,000 USD.  A sister to this car I am being offered. It too was made in Canada.  I assume one of the three recorded and registered in the National Airflow club.

The parts to re-install the original rear bumper are all with the car. Apparently it needs some work before going back on.

I have a list of missing parts. Its not very long. The biggest items being the two chrome stripes that are supposed to run down along the edge of each running board.  The hood latch/handle  is missing. Not much of anything else.

The full history of the the car is well detailed and provided. Its got a very short family tree since brand new. Its not been restored. Most everything is original. It was a daily driver for about 35 years. There are 92,000 miles on the odometer. The seat upholstery well worn. Typical rust up under the running boards, and where the running boards meet the front and rear body. Typical lower rear body rust around the base of the car at the trunk lid catch area. I see that it has a vinyl, (or is it some type of canvas square section?) on the roof. It had been restored many years ago. Looks ok.

Below is a pic of how they found the car in 2008  after 40 years of storage in a carport. Unfortunately not totally a dry spot.

It drives. It runs. It's insured for road use now. I'm thinking quite long term on this one.A restoration would carry me into my retirement likely. I'd not jump in right away and tear it apart. At this moment I am thinking, if I owned it I would repair it, drive it. Enjoy it for a few years. Learn some more skills and then maybe consider spending the big bucks for body, paint and re-upholstery. I suspect this is one of those cars that you can put your money into, and do well on the sale at some future point.  Making money or a flip are not on my agenda. I'd like to be proud as a peacock driving and showing off the fruit of my labor. Such a rare sight indeed.

I think Its time to start thinking about a trip to go see it in person. Bring a trailer?  

Desoto as found.jpg

Rear interior.jpeg

Desoto Inside.jpg

Edited by keithb7

Years ago a buddy of mine made about a 1000 mile round trip to pick up his dream car, I rode with him just to be there.  It was a fun trip and we talked all kinds of things.  Best part was seeing him putting it on his trailer, I think he was real happy that day.