1935 Desoto Airflow Discussion

keithb7

Hi folks, as fate would have it, somehow a rare car has been offered to me. I wasn't looking. The seller decided to seek me out. A Canadian built 1935 Desoto Airflow. 4 door sedan. A very rare car here it seems.  It's pretty hard to let an opportunity such as this slide by. The car is a survivor and all stock it appears. It runs and drives. It really needs a good mechanic and a new home. As mentioned by a Mopar friend, and fellow Mopar lover, "This is the kind of car find that keeps you up at night."

I was informed 135 of these cars were originally built in Canada in 1935. Apparently there are three known survivors in Canada. (I can't prove this). What it does tell me, is parts availability may be a real problem. Looking at production numbers in the USA 6,269 Desoto Series SG's were were built.  Used parts availability may be very difficult however not impossible. From the photos, overall the car looks pretty darn good.  Normal wearing  parts will most certainly be required.

The car is located in my region, I'd make make arrangements to travel and view it. Before I go too much farther into this car deal, I am interested in hearing about your Airflow experiences.  What your reservations might be? Your thoughts about this opportunity. I know ya'll are going to say "Go for it!"...It's easy to spend someone else's money. LOL.

I am very comfortable in my mechanical skills to work on this car. However, I am going into it pretty blind at this point from an ownership & cost of maintenance perspective, for this exact model car. The offered sell price seems fair. The photos look good.  A visit to see the car will answer 95% of what I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

IMG_1309a.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

As you said......go for it. I love the Airflows. Club member had a ‘37 Chrysler Airflow straight 8. I loved that car. They have a unibody I believe which is different from a frame. Mechanically pretty much the same as other Mopars. Parts unique like trim, grille, some interior pieces probably hard to find so check to see most is there. 

Another big question is space to put it. Hate to see one of your other two cars outside or sold. 

Those cars are so unique! I wouldn’t kick it out of my garage for leaking oil. ?

Edited by RobertKB
  • Thanks 1

Never owned one, never seen one in person.  Always liked the look of them...so mysterious and art deco.  I'm spending your money.  Go for it.  You can always resell it.  Wish I had the opportunity!

As said, look closely at the unique tot eh Airflow items.  those are what will make or break you.  The mechanicals, generally, are more common.

Having never owned one, or ridden in one, my personal opinion is virtually worthless in regards to your situation but I always did like the look

First thing is to join the airflow club of America and then also the National desoto club.  Since this is a Desoto airflow it comes with the standard flat head six engine. The chysler had the eight cylinder engine.

These are fantastic cars.  We had a group of Airflows attend the National Desoto Convention in 2016 in Maryland and several Chrysler airflows came all the way from california. I asked how fast they were driving inthe mid west and the owner who was 80+ years old said me son these are airflows and we were 70 mph on the flats.

They handle nicely and are a great car to drive and ride in.  In 1934 Desoto only sold airflow models and di dnot offere any regular sedan. 

Purchase the car and have lots of fun with it. I i had th eoffer I would purchase it.

Rich Hartung  39 Desoto owner

Desoto1939@aol.com 

1 hour ago, RobertKB said:

As you said......go for it. 

Another big question is space to put it. Hate to see one of your other two cars outside or sold. 

Ah yes...Storage space. I am currently maxed-out at my personal comfort level. I have room here to build a shop. Yet I'm not sure I want to. It just means I'll buy, accept and store more stuff! Yes, I've set rules for myself. If a new toy is coming in, for me that means one has to go away. I want to limit myself to two cars. My goal is that one car is always up and drive-able, while the other is down for a major planned outage. This practise so far has kept me satisfied. I drive my old cars all the time. Close to daily drivers, they are.

It is indeed a tough decision to make. It's easier for me to keep both of my old Mopars and buy a 3rd. I'm running the thoughts and various scenarios through my head.  Thinking about the rules I set for myself. Yet also take further steps to acquire this '35 Desoto. If.....This is a big IF...I were to land the '35 Desoto I think my '53 Windsor would be on the chopping block.  Why?...I have learned to really enjoy the simplicity of the earlier cars. My Chrysler was mostly all restored when I acquired it. I have not been though every nut and bolt in the Chrysler. I've done quite a bit, but compared to my '38 Plymouth...I've not done much wrenching on my '53 Chrysler.

Yes, indeed I have bonded with an inanimate object. My '38 Ply. For good reason too. Each passing week I fill the washing machine with greasy clothes, as I bring my '38 closer and closer to it's reliability when new. It was like a sick animal that I've nursed back to life. Today it happily gallops across the field and brings me great satisfaction. Surely there are other crazy people here who can relate to this half baked narrative.

No, I've not made up my mind yet. I'm dipping my toe in the water.  Taking small steps all the while moving ahead on the '35 Desoto.

This great group is part of the problem here....LOL.  - K

Here is another pic for those interested:

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 4.58.09 PM.png

Edited by keithb7

I am in a similar position, looking at a '34 Chrysler Airflow with historic Australia provenance and a '36 Chrysler Airflow. Oh the luxury of options and limited space....lol 

IMO, of the early Mopars, surely it would be the  non Imperial Airflows that will appreciate in value significantly,

Love the dash on the Desoto.

Another idea for limited floor space is to install a lift providing you have sufficient ceiling height in your garage.

I have spent many hours on 1935 Airflows...an Imperial coupe and a CW limousine....they are a show stopper for sure and with the OD are great road cars.

As Rich says...join the Airflow Club of America....https://www.airflowclub.com

Parts can be very difficult to find unless you belong to that group of owners.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

.  But his new shop ought to keep that in mind when he builds it.

Lol. You’re convinced I’m building a new shop! :D

No it’s not really about stacking cars so I can own more. It's self discipline. Two cars is my limit!  Know my limit. Staying within it...For my own sanity...Two is good. Really. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

No it’s not really about stacking cars so I can own more. It's self discipline. Two cars is my limit!  Know my limit. Staying within it...For my own sanity...Two is good. Really. 

If you decide to sell the 53 and aquire the 35 I support you Keith.  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tough choices for sure. You really do seem to be enamoured with the ‘38 and working on it and the Airflow would provide similar attractions. Wish I could offer to buy the ‘53 to help you out. ? However, I already have my three old Mopars and a ‘63 Ford ? Fairlane. I sold the ‘38 Chrysler I did a full resto on and still have a small bit of seller’s remorse. But you can sell cars and move on. 

• Like 1

If you don't acquire the Airflow, you will be kicking yourself down the track. You will be telling others how you had a chance to own an Airflow...?

IMHO, its the most iconic Mopar. It does have a face that only a mother can love but...

Buy the right model of Airflow and you get tilt and....telescopic steering wheel too.

She looks pretty complete and in need of your restoration skills.

I liked the Chrysler Airflow because of the overdrives. I am not sure the overdrive was standard in the Desoto's. The 241 is an earlier version of the 241 in my '41 Chrysler Windsor and it is a nice engine.

One of my top bucket list cars is a 1934  Desoto Airflow 2 door coupe. This is pretty darn close. My vote is to go for it & work out the logistics later.

Pete

9 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Not so much about more car storage, but rather rolling around on cold concrete when you get older. 

• Like 3

Yes, good point @Sniper . I’d forgotten about the effects of aging. I’m not quite there yet, but it catches us all. I did feel a little stiff after I was crammed up inside the LF wheel well of my ‘38 for considerable time. Performing a valve set.  The tranny on my chest for a while, laying under the car, left a me sign of things to come too. 

These old Airflows don’t have a trunk? The spare tire mounts on the rear, so there is no room for a trunk? Interesting. 

I slept on it...Member’s comments about “going for it” and clean up the mess later have a nice ring to it. Lol.  We shall see. Full disclosure report is due in today. 

Edited by keithb7

What trunk there is on some is through the back seat.

About six years ago, I answered a CL ad for a '53 or '54 Corvette project, stored for years in a building just a few miles away. When I arrived, I saw a bunch of other cars that had been stored there as well, including a 1934 Desoto Airflow. The car was remarkably complete (the fender skirts were in the back seat), but had been sitting a long, long time, and would need everything. Although the owner's wife had agreed to meet me at noon, a Corvette dealer had shown up at 10:00 AM and she had already sold him the Vette and the Airflow. She let the Airflow go for $7000.00. It was a fascinating automobile. I would have bought it on the spot. And yes, it did have overdrive as I remember. So advanced and so cool!

DSC04441.jpg

DSC04417.jpg

DSC04438.jpg

• Like 2

I loved the styling and the use of the little aerodynamic fin that help split the back window to give a more sleek design to the rear of these 34 Desoto's.  I know that money talks but she should have honored that you were coming over and at least provide you with the opportunity to see the cars and make an offer, but money in hand talks very loudly.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Keith. I will add my 2 cents to the conversation that you have invited.

Your 38 is very similar to my 38 D9 Dodge and you have got such pleasure out of motoring it and bringing it up to being a really good reliable vehicle. These late 30s Chrysler Corp vehicles with their simplicity and excellent design and engineering gave people across the globe access to affordable, reliable motor cars. They are a buzz to go cruising in, as you well know.

I am sure you would find the Airflow to be like your Plymouth on steroids. The same quality of engineering but next level in design for it's day. If you can find a place for it, go for it!! Then make sure you share the journey via your videos so we can go along for the ride too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1