Transmission Identification Question

The Dodge Truck Shop Manual talks about three speed, four speed, and five speed transmissions. Can someone identify the two transmissions I have? Are they 3,4, or 5 speed? Also, is reverse considered to be a "speed" or does "speed" always refer only to the number of forward gears? (I'm supposing it only refers to the forward gears.)

Here's the first transmission which came from a '52 B3B with column shift.

20200809_074223_resized.jpg.b27239e8c4996a535eae38aa94e9346c.jpg  20200809_074443_resized.jpg.ed7213a1e64642e1d402478e6ba0ea53.jpg

Here's the second one which came from a '50 B2B with floor shift.

20200809_074409_resized.jpg.08eb0bad83c756602519e0831a97c469.jpg  20200809_074330_resized.jpg.424be2a0f33a5a15432600440d74fa32.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

just a semi educated guess here, but the first one is most likely a 3 speed, I have never seen a 4 speed column shift on a truck (doesn't mean they don't exist) the second most likely is a 4 speed because it has the access port on the side and looks exactly like the 4 speed in my Fargo. Put the shifter back on it and see how many gears you find? 

And yes you are correct, reverse doesn't count as a speed.

53 minutes ago, Jim G said:

just a semi educated guess here, but the first one is most likely a 3 speed, I have never seen a 4 speed column shift on a truck (doesn't mean they don't exist) the second most likely is a 4 speed because it has the access port on the side and looks exactly like the 4 speed in my Fargo. Put the shifter back on it and see how many gears you find? 

And yes you are correct, reverse doesn't count as a speed.

My less-than-semi educated opinion agrees with this.  A picture of the gears in the second one, take from the  top pointing  down, would allow one to actually count the possible speeds.

OK, I was just under my Fargo fooling with the parking brake, and my 4 speed looks a bit different, the fill is in a different spot, so I looked in the owners manual which has pictures of the different transmissions, and the 4 speed has 6 bolts holding the top on, and the 5 has 8. Hope this helps more than confuses. . .

I agree, I was almost certain the first is a 3-speed and the second a 4-speed but I wanted a few other informed opinions. For kicks, I measured the lengths of both transmissions from the rear of the cast iron cases to the ends of the pinion shaft. The 3-speed measured 15 3/4 inches. The-4 speed measured 17 1/4. The reason I started this thread is because I'm pulling the engine on my B3B and I had a somewhat difficult time pulling the 4-speed transmission back far enough to be able to get the throwout bearing out of the way in order to drop the clutch and flywheel down and out. (I did finally succeed.) The extra 1 1/2 inches on the 4-speed makes the job harder. Now I'm wondering something else: Were all column shift transmissions 3-speed and all floor shift transmissions 4-speed? From what I've read it seems some owners get their transmissions out like 1-2-3 no problem.  So I'm wondering if those guys have 3-speeds and if having a 4-speed always makes the job more difficult.  I didn't want to pull the bell housing with the engine for several reasons:

1. It's big and heavy and probably harder to maneuver around everything else.

2. I would have to remove the brake and clutch pedals.

3. I would have to remove the steering column to get the clutch pedal out.

4. I would have to remove the steering wheel (and the turn signals) to get the steering column out.

That's how I saw it anyway.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

57 minutes ago, Jim G said:

OK, I was just under my Fargo fooling with the parking brake, and my 4 speed looks a bit different, the fill is in a different spot, so I looked in the owners manual which has pictures of the different transmissions, and the 4 speed has 6 bolts holding the top on, and the 5 has 8. Hope this helps more than confuses. . .

The 4 speed looking trans shown here would be a later model synchronized version, which was introduced in ‘51. The earlier spur gear, Non-synchronized, 4 speed has the PTO towards the front with the fill/level plug behind it. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...