Weld in ifs, and weld in 4 link rear suspension

Dingo's 48

Finally retired and starting on my 48 B1D build.

I am looking for anyone that has found a great weld in ifs  for these trucks.  
I am also looking for a triangulated 4 link kit for this truck

my truck is 126” wheelbase.  So my ride height will be a little higher than those slammed trucks the younger kids are rollin’.

i am making this truck a driver.  May use a new gen three Hemi, but haven’t decided.

i would post a pic but it keeps rotating the pic 90 degrees 

Surprised there aren’t any replies yet. I want the same set up on a 40 Chrysler I’m turning into a retro-rod. You are probably going to hear you should stay with the suspension God gave it. As it is a pretty good setup From back in the day. I’m probably just going to do a disc brake conversion for the front and would love a four-link in rear. 

Not commenting because I find the triangulated 4 link to the one of the last the styles of rear suspensions I would use.

Doubtful you will find a kit that doesn't need fabbing to work and as old as these vehicles are I wouldn't trust any of them to be square and true to blueprint.  So you may as well get a universal 4 link setup and custom fit it. 

But if I was going to put a different rear suspension in I would look at a truck arm suspension.

• Like 1

being a truck chassis the many IFS makers and kits out there should be very applicable along with a few other variations if you are willing to get down and dirty and do the work.  If you are farming this work, your fabricator would be the best person to speak with at the minute...he usually works best with what he is familiar.  

Dingo...............have you thought of using the suspension setups from an XJ6 Jaguar, ideally series 2 or 3 , both front & rear suspension units unbolt from the Jag, and have mounting arrangements that work well with horizontal chassis rails.........again they are not a bolt in but are a good viable alternative to the Mustang 11 based front ends that are generally used .......I'd also suggest posting a thread on the truck side of this forum...........regards from Oz.............andyd 

Edited by Andydodge

I used Paul Horton's   welderseries.com  MII ifs on my truck.   It's a weld in setup that let's you set your own ride height.   You still need to measure carefully and some of the pieces will need to be trimmed to fit the chassis but the geometry is already calculated and built in if you measure correctly.   I've seen references to Fatman's having a kit but I don't know if it lets you alter ride height.    Assembly of the parts was not difficult,  welding was straightforward and considerably less cost than prefabbed kits.

Hi Dingo,

I'm one of those that Jolly suggests. Not against changing things, but being partially a purest, any changes I make can be relatively easily reversed and I've made a bunch of them on my 39 Plymouth PT. I think many on this sight might agree with me or even be more conservative about changing up our Mopars too much?  If you are not aware? There is a website THE H.A.M.B. at https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ that I have found the best when it comes to the questions like you've asked. Lots of experienced car builders on there willing to share their knowledge and experience.

On occasion, I'll catch a street rod building show where they'll take a beautifully restored or pristine original car and chop it up in all directions to build someone with too much money an abortion (in my opinion). I can appreciate the fabrication skills, but there should be a law! Lols! ?

• Like 1