Upper A-Arm bumper replacement

woodie49

I am replacing the King Pins in my '49 Plymouth Woodie. One of the rubber bumpers on the upper A-Arm is broken off so I want to replace it.  It requires that i remove the stud that is the upper shock mount.  This appears impossible to remove.  I have used a  C clamp with an impact drive to try to press it out, its perfectly and it is a large C clamp, but this is just bending the C clamp.  I don't want to pound away at it because i don't want to risk screwing up the A Arm.  I doubt this has been removed in the last 100 years. Any suggestions on how to pop this stud out?

Thanks - I think you are referring to removing the lower shock mount from the knuckle. I am trying to remove the upper mount from the A Arm.  It might be hidden somewhere, but I find no mention in my manual of how to remove this.

It looks like you would just remove the nut and press the stud out.  No such luck.  The saddle fitting for the bumper is loose - that is I can move it back and forth with a screw driver so it seems like it shouldn't be prohibiting the stud from being removed. but it is proving stubborn.UpperAarm49.jpg.a35efcf368d3ede481059494976318e9.jpg 

Shown here is my U joint tool I use..

Pushes the studs right out.

Or pull the arm out and use a press...

I realize you might not have these tools.

But you need good tooling at times to get the job done.

20200808_150454_compress64.jpg

20200808_153242_compress40.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Ah gotcha, you can always loan out a ball joint press from an auto parts store.

Basically the same tool dodgeb4ya showed.

Otherwise for a stuck one and no press, pretty much same procedure as for the lower would apply, just drill the hole bigger if need be.