Oil Cooler ?

derbydad276

Well, the flow thru a bypass oil filter is minimal, imo.  But it's similar to how the cop spec Diplomat's oil cooler was plumbed.  Tapped the supply for the cooler from the oil sending unit fitting (Y fitting in this case), thru the cooler, then dumped into the crankcase via a rifle drilled stud that replaced one of the fuel pump mounting bolts.  It seemed to help the Diplomats but it was probably 1/4" ID lines, might help here.  Other than cost I don't see an issue.

I have to say I don’t see a reason to install one myself. Six quart system,  low (in general) rpms, and who among us doesn’t change the oil probably way too often.  I can see if you had a vintage trailer you are hauling up a lot of hills or something but in general with oils today and the usage most of us give ours just another way to poor cash into the hobby

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Depends on how much you really want one.  I'm doing a fullflow filter conversion on my 230.  The same mod could be used for a cooler only or in conjunction with a filter install.  This is not my pic but from a thread here  :https://p15-d24.com/topic/43897-time-for-an-overhaul/#comments  Looked like a good setup so I borrowed the idea. What you can't see in the pic is a small cup plug driven into the oil passage so that it stops between the two drilled and tapped holes.

I've got that done and the filter mounting bracket made.  Next is making up the lines.

image.png

I would think in theory anyway that the bypass oil filter canister itself acts as somewhat of an oil cooler. Since it is taking the oil out of the engine, through the line to the filter then back through the line to the engine. The entire time it is outside the engine it is in fact cooling because it is not exposed to the heating of the engine during that time. 

I suppose you could go to one of the finned aluminum canisters that are available in the hot rod market place to increase the cooling efficiency over the stock canister if you wanted something more. 

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Offenhauser-Fifties-Style-Beehive-Oil-Filter,25041.html

• Like 2

Dunno if this helps but I have used a oil cooler from a BMC Mini for over 40 yrs in my 1940 Dodge with 318 Poly V8..........I adapted/bolted on  the external oil lines from an LA 318 to the poly block that use an aftermarket oil filter bracket and Z9 filter and then ran more lines to the BMC oil cooler mounted behind the grille .....apart from anything else this added approx 2 quarts extra oil capacity to the system which hasn't done any harm.............sorry no pic of the setup apart from this showing the Z9 filter mount, you can just make out the reinforced oil lines also........found an older but clearer pic.............andyd

P1000418.JPG

P1000808 (800x600).jpg