J NUT for Fenders

dcotant

I would suspect that anyone with a 48-50 Dodge truck would recognize this part. I need more of the nuts to reattach fenders and wondering what people have done for source. I believe it is a 5/16 - 10 like these from clips and fasteners ( https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/J-Nut-5-16-10-Tapping-Screw-Size-032-064-Range-p/a1907.htm?CartID=1 ). I don't need 50 wondering if anyone has a different source and/or can verify these are the right ones.

Thanks in advance.

2024668708_boltjnut.jpg.4a93841b78bca19610cb5123880c3eeb.jpg

Ill be interested in this as well, I seem to recall them being called Acme thread but havent researched much lately given my truck project just started, its very interesting that on my 1951 B3F its a mix of super coarse bolts(like you show) and almost all my main structural fasteners are fine thread.  I know that bolt you show is used in many places(floor pans, front sheetmetal) so finidng a source of parts with normal quantities will be good.  Have  you tried Fastenal or MSC Direct to see if they have anything?

I've purchase J-nuts at several Ace Hardware and Lowe's locations, sold individually, in pairs, and qty.5...McMaster could sell ya 10 if ya ask'm real nice...J-nuts are kinda adjustable as the bolt thread engagement tabs can be flattened some and acme or NC threads could be forced into the nut to lock into place :cool:

• Like 1

yes ACME threads, or square threads.  I got mine from McMaster-Carr.  I always replace all of them, just to make sure nothing will break, the keeper bit can break off leaving you a bit in the lurch with an infinite spinner.  AS JB said a pack of 10 would do you just fine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lingle said:

Ill be interested in this as well, I seem to recall them being called Acme thread but havent researched much lately given my truck project just started, its very interesting that on my 1951 B3F its a mix of super coarse bolts(like you show) and almost all my main structural fasteners are fine thread.  I know that bolt you show is used in many places(floor pans, front sheetmetal) so finidng a source of parts with normal quantities will be good.  Have  you tried Fastenal or MSC Direct to see if they have anything?

From what I’ve seen, The 51-53 fender and floor board nuts are a little different from the 48-50

i had luck with AMK

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

yes ACME threads, or square threads.  I got mine from McMaster-Carr.  I always replace all of them, just to make sure nothing will break, the keeper bit can break off leaving you a bit in the lurch with an infinite spinner.  AS JB said a pack of 10 would do you just fine

Yes i plan on replacing them all. Not finding them at McMaster, near as i could find is 1/4 - 20 which would not be acme threads. Do you recall part # from them?

I see them at Lowes but they are also 1/4 inch, and I am pretty sure these are 5/16, that is the outside diameter of the threads and with 1/2 inch hex head.

Not looking for the extruded j nuts like on my parts truck (52) fenders.....those extruded ones can rust up but these will always break free... 

"for the next person looking for the fender j-nut and bolts 5/16-24. just got a package of them from AMK Products inc. kind of a bummer on the minimumorder but they are the correct thread"

Yeah those are the extruded j nuts. 5/16 - 10 are likely the right ones for acme threads, I guess I should just suck it up and buy 50, then offer extras to whomever would like them.

I just bought the  J speed nuts from Tractor Supply here in Ohio. 2 in a package $1.49

also I bought (2 ) 1 1/4  x 5/16 - 24 fine thread from Fastenall today. $3.95  but,

Tractor Supply had the (2) 1 1/2  (exact replacement) in a package for $2.99... for 

E3BE9B87-0D3B-467E-9D58-32C7C1A409BA.jpeg

17 hours ago, dcotant said:

Yes i plan on replacing them all. Not finding them at McMaster, near as i could find is 1/4 - 20 which would not be acme threads. Do you recall part # from them?

I see them at Lowes but they are also 1/4 inch, and I am pretty sure these are 5/16, that is the outside diameter of the threads and with 1/2 inch hex head.

Not looking for the extruded j nuts like on my parts truck (52) fenders.....those extruded ones can rust up but these will always break free... 

just poked at McMaster...now you have me wondering if I just used 1/4-20 nuts!  They aren't listing them and a search of the interwebs came up empty for ACME J (or speed) nuts....now I DID order a pile of random stuff from these guys, might be worth a call...they have a WIDE selection of oddball stuff that others don't...not all that cheap, but a PILE of stuff.

https://www.restorationspecialties.com

specfically

https://www.restorationspecialties.com/Speed-Nuts--U-J-Type_c_291.html

Yes thanks everyone. These seem like the ones in Lowes, Gaige, which is good, cause there is a TSC that is closer to me than Lowes. I will definitely take my bolt to TSC to check for fit, which is what I was looking for, rather than buying 50 and having them not work.

fwiw, I am not going for a concourse restoration .... I plan to replace with a standard nut bolt washer where it is feasible.

I feel they will be a better quality and a bit of a upgrade. The j nut is perfect for a assembly line and cheaper then the nut bolt washer.

This will give me extra j bolts that can be used in the areas that they really make sense, like the floors, where you cant reach both sides.

Not a proper solution for a restoration agreed. ... For replacements though, I have found them at local parts store in the "Help" section, but think ace hardware or tractor supply may be better choices.

4 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

just poked at McMaster...now you have me wondering if I just used 1/4-20 nuts!  They aren't listing them and a search of the interwebs came up empty for ACME J (or speed) nuts....now I DID order a pile of random stuff from these guys, might be worth a call...they have a WIDE selection of oddball stuff that others don't...not all that cheap, but a PILE of stuff.

https://www.restorationspecialties.com

specfically

https://www.restorationspecialties.com/Speed-Nuts--U-J-Type_c_291.html

I know a few times we harvested a lot of those at the junkyard. I wonder if you collected enough good originals to reuse.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

for all concerned...Restoration Specs. is temporary down for orders and such and only info request via e-mail is being monitored till 10 August....

they shutting down?

• 3 weeks later...

My final post on this subject. After checking the Tractor Supply nuts, I did in fact get a box of 50 from clips and fasteners, they were perfect fit as well.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/J-Nut-5-16-10-Tapping-Screw-Size-032-064-Range-p/a1907.htm

Would be nice to have a source for the screws that mate with these, but i guess those can always be found and junkyards as they generally age well.

3 hours ago, dcotant said:

Would be nice to have a source for the screws that mate with these, but i guess those can always be found and junkyards as they generally age well.

10 pc Buick 40-52 hood bumper shield fender radiator gravel deflector bolts NORS

s-l1600.jpg.337abbcafa7af5e20fea69bfc2ad703e.jpg

• Like 1