Starting with handcrank?

Jim G

Have any of you ever actually started a flathead in a 40's-50's era truck with the hand crank?

I remember asking my Dad (who was a garage mechanic starting from the late 1930's) when I got my Fargo, and he just laughed and said don't even try it. That crank was there for turning the engine over for adjusting things. 

Jim,

My father was a professional mechanic too dating back to the 40s. He told me the same thing. They might use those cranks to find top dead center usually with the spark plugs out. I've used a 3/4 drive wrench and socket to rotate my engine a bit and even with that large a wrench it's difficult to turn with the plugs in. I doubt it would be possible to actually start one of our engines with that crank. Perhaps if you're the Incredible Hulk? Lols! For sure it could not be safe? I have seen at car shows some real early Ford model Ts started with a crank. They only had 4 cylinders and about 20hp. And, I think people got injured with those things too.

I believe ya! I've never tried it, but you would think it would be difficult? I guess if Ignition and battery and fuel is setup right, just a quick crank will obviously do it. I don't think I'll try it though. I don't want to scratch my re-chromed grill molding. Lols!

41 minutes ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Perhaps our dads were pulling our legs. This video makes it look easy. I still think I'll rely on my electric starter.

Well that's proof enough for me. Doubt I'm going to try it though, my Fargo never started that good on the starter! ;) 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Yeah mine either! I wonder if Brent 3B3 had a Pertronix ignition with ether in the carb? lols!

Negative on the pertronix 

Just good old points and condenser.... on a finely tuned piece of machinery, LOL (Not quite) 

I've also started my B3B and B4D with the hand crank, once (just so I can say I can ?)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brent B3B said:

Negative on the pertronix 

Just good old points and condenser.... on a finely tuned piece of machinery, LOL (Not quite) 

I've also started my B3B and B4D with the hand crank, once (just so I can say I can ?)

It must have been tuned pretty well, but I didn't hear a no on the ether? Lols!  Amazing video! 

17 minutes ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

It must have been tuned pretty well, but I didn't hear a no on the ether? Lols!  Amazing video! 

So sorry my bad....here is your official “no on the either” ?

Amazing? Naw, just having fun ? 

4 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Perhaps our dads were pulling our legs. This video makes it look easy. I still think I'll rely on my electric starter.

Must have been.  I've done it, my father's done it and my grandfather that sold these trucks new has done it.

My brother was never a mechanic, he was known to throw a hammer through the rear window of his 72 duster while changing a tire .... he bragged how easy his 36 dodge was to start with the crank.

A car I never saw, he got it in trade and quickly traded it off.

I need to edit this after some thought .... was working on his brakes, first he smashed his tail lights then threw the hammer into the rear window  :D

Edited by Los_Control

37 minutes ago, B1B Keven said:

Must have been.  I've done it, my father's done it and my grandfather that sold these trucks new has done it.

Yeah! The more I'm thinking about this and remembering my dad. He probably was trying to protect me from braking my arm and having to take me to the emergency room.  Did I mention I did lots of stupid stuff to endanger myself and aggravate him in the old days? Lols!

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2020 at 10:27 AM, ggdad1951 said:

calling Young Ed and Brent....its not that hard really

My truck has a car engine and I believe no longer has the proper crank nut to accept the hand starter

14 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

My truck has a car engine and I believe no longer has the proper crank nut to accept the hand starter

Well Ed, you better get that nut on there if you want to be a manly man and hand crank start that engine like these other fellas on here.  Lols! ?

On 8/5/2020 at 2:33 PM, Brent B3B said:

So sorry my bad....here is your official “no on the either” ?

Amazing? Naw, just having fun ? 

I'm having dreams about that video. (good indication of how screwed up I am) I still can't believe how easy it started. Now, I suppose you're going to tell us it was stone cold too when you started it? ?

I have to admit, with electric start mine just turns a 1/2 revolution and fires up. Really not a stretch if someone has engine in good tune, it would start right up with a crank.

Now if your engine needs to turn over for 5 min and eventually start ... you have other issues.

These engines will start fine with a hand crank. If in proper tune.

Mine starts easy enough with the electric starter. Just seems like even a half revolution would be a tough go by hand with that little crank. But watching Brent, he made that 1/2 turn look easy as pie.  Ahhhh!  His engine must be worn out. Lols!  ?

Pretty sure Brendt is part of the Justice League and fighting crime with his Dodge-Mobile.

I mean, look how fast this dude is.

48D (sidekick) :D

• Like 2

Im almost happy mine doesent have the hand crank nut. I would be dumb enough to try starting my truck. Then having to explain my cast for the next 6 weeks. 

my hat’s off to anyone that has mastered hand cranking their vehicle!!

Just the thought of hand cranking to start an engine gives me the heebie-jeebies. I know there is a special way to hold the crank with your thumb out of the way. Even so, I've heard too many stories of broken hands or arms to want to try it. Hats off to those who have!

Edited by RobertKB

4 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

Guy had a big wood planer, wisconsin engine on it. He would grab the belts and yank to start. It was difficult to watch. 

sounds like an accident  awaiting to happen.....

on original topic...I once started with a crank handle...took almost 7 years to get the rest of the car to go with it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1