6 volt headlights

BobT-47P15

Hi everyone.  Hope you all are doing OK in the midst of this virus business.              My question is:   is there one BRAND of 6 volt headlight bulb (for a 47 Plymouth) that is any

better or brighter than another.             Not talking about the halogen....just the regular kind.   The halogens I have on the car currently need a relay to cut down on voltage draw

but I haven't gotten in the mood to tackle that project.  So am thinking of simply purchasing a couple new bulbs to replace them.   We have a few auto stores here:  O'Reilly, NAPA,  &

Auto Zone to choose from.   Or, there is the internet.             

And......what gauge of wire is best for headlights.  I re-did my wiring to the lights quite a  while back.......think I used the gauge mentioned in the repair manual.   

Thanks for any input.     Bob.

I thought halogens were suppose to draw less than regular light bulbs.?

I got some 6 volt halogen bulbs for  the tail lights on my 39 P8 off eBay a while back. When I got them it looked like someone had taken a stock bulb, removed the glass from the casing and replaced with a halogen light. Odd looking but they work. Never did find any halogens for the headlights.

Food for thought, you can get a step-up converter, 6 to 12 volt and use 12 volt headlights up front.

https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Converter-Regulator-Waterproof-Module/dp/B019GY2FLW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYSW1NQ

I've actually got the first one above and mounted it for a 12 volt vacuum pump to assist my wiper system. Its powering the pump just fine, no problem but I'm thinking about converting to electric wipers. I may plan on using it for a future stereo system now.

Edited by Lloyd

Halogen bulbs draw more amps than tungsten bulbs. They often need an alternator to supply enough power. LED bulbs draw less than tungsten.

I run halogen bulbs in my P8. I got them here:

https://www.lbcarco.com/

Good people to deal with.

Pete

the difference between tungsten and halogen bulbs at the same wattage, is the lumens they put out.

Wattage is simply the electrical power consumed and if both type bulbs are rated that the same wattage and voltage then the amperage is the same as well.

Lumens is the actual light output and halogens outshine, pun intended, tungstens at the same wattage rating.  The halogen design is more energetic, from a light output perspective, at the same power ratings than tungsten. 

They are not the same wattage.

Keep in mind that the issue discussed was for 1939 Plymouth. These have the old style headlights with separate lens, reflectors, bulbs, etc. If you keep these original but want a brighter bulb, you need to use a Mazda 2331 bulb. There are limited vendors who supply halogen 2331 bulbs.

The vendor I mentioned above has 2 versions: 35w/35w and 35w/50w. Yep, these draw a lot of power. The calculations I used:

6 volt electrical system (positive ground)

Bulbs:
    35/35 watts
    50/35 watts

For 2 halogen bulbs:
    70 watts
    100 watts

Amps = watts / volts

70 watts / 6 volts = 12.7 amps for 2 halogen 35 watt bulbs

100 watts / 6 volts = 16.7 amps for 2 halogen 50 watt bulbs

So I went with an alternator so as not to tax the original charging system given what else it needs to do. Changing back to tungsten bulbs and generator would take about 30 minutes if I choose to do that.

My ammeter certain shows the different between the tungsten and halogen bulbs.

Pete

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

They are not the same wattage.

Keep in mind that the issue discussed was for 1939 Plymouth. These have the old style headlights with separate lens, reflectors, bulbs, etc. If you keep these original but want a brighter bulb, you need to use a Mazda 2331 bulb. There are limited vendors who supply halogen 2331 bulbs.

The vendor I mentioned above has 2 versions: 35w/35w and 35w/50w. Yep, these draw a lot of power. The calculations I used:

6 volt electrical system (positive ground)

Bulbs:
    35/35 watts
    50/35 watts

For 2 halogen bulbs:
    70 watts
    100 watts

Amps = watts / volts

70 watts / 6 volts = 12.7 amps for 2 halogen 35 watt bulbs

100 watts / 6 volts = 16.7 amps for 2 halogen 50 watt bulbs

So I went with an alternator so as not to tax the original charging system given what else it needs to do. Changing back to tungsten bulbs and generator would take about 30 minutes if I choose to do that.

My ammeter certain shows the different between the tungsten and halogen bulbs.

Pete

You are correct on the regular bulb 2331 and do not think the 2330 will work the pin setup is different.

The regular Mazda 2531 is the higher bulb 50/35  same look as the 2331 with the flange. These at one point were outlawed but can be found at swap meets.  I use this but also have a 6 v headlight relay on my car to keep the power up to the bulbs and lessen the amount of wire adn routing throught the headlight switch.  The relay cuts down on having the light switch control al lof the amperage.

Also note the 2330 and the 2331 sockets are the same the only difference is the setup and lacement of the pigtail contacts.  The 2330 contact are up and down at 12 and 6.  The 2331 the contacts are at 9 and 3.  On the Mopar the light allmoved  from right to left for the high beam and then back to low beam.

The other cars did it by the standard up/down system on the 2330 bulbs.

Don Axlerod in Mass who does pre 1939 headlight had a large amount of the headlight socket reproducted not sure if he still has any.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks Rich,

Good stuff. I run a fused relay with 10g wire on the headlights.

You are correct on the 2330 bulbs. The pins are off by 90 degrees from the sockets in our old Mopars. I believe those were used on Harleys, and perhaps F*rds.

I've used the 2531 50/35 tungsten bulbs. They are not nearly as bright as the halogen 50/35 bulbs.

I have good sockets for 2331 and a couple of spares as well. I've dealt with Don Axelrod in the past and found him to be a good source of advise and old parts.

Pete