Fluid Drive - Pros and Cons?

Sorry for all the questions, but when I started my project in the mid to late 80s nothing like this existed,
so I am at the mercy of those with much more knowledge than me.

As I'm restarting my project I'm going through engines, transmissions and this kind of stuff and I'm wondering about the fluid drive?

I have a 3 speed that was stock that I went through and seems to be in really good shape,
but I also have the secondary 3-speed that is a fluid drive with the longer output shaft and all the necessities to put it together.

Just wondering on the pros and cons of using a fluid drive transmission, I'm still going through the 400 + pages of postings on this forum
the one thing that did catch my eye was you can't put your truck in gear then have it hold you have to have a fully functional emergency brake,
not a deal-breaker I'm just wondering other people's thoughts who are more knowledgeable than I.

Thank you all for your input and I hope one day I'll be able to actually contribute as opposed to just ask questions.

Thanks, Bill

EDIT.... when I started my project in the mid to late 80s nothing like this existed, and now that I have revived it in the last month ....

Edited by billrigsby

To be able to adapt to a Fluid Drive setup you would need an engine with an 8 hole crankshaft flange and a Fluid Drive bell housing, with a Fluid Drive unit, to go along with your long input shaft 3 speed. As your truck is a 1 Ton it should have a 230 CID engine, so the 8 hold flange may be there already. But unless you already have the bell housing and FD unit it's not worth the effort to convert everything. If you want to use the other 3 speed you'd be better off finding a standard input shaft, and bearing flange, and convert it over. 

I will say there are some advantages to having FD in a truck. Less clutching in city traffic being at the top of the list. And yes, a working parking brake is a MUST. 

• Like 1

I have a fluid drive in my '41 Chrysler Club Coupe with the Vacamatic semi automatic trans. Most of the higher end Chrysler's had the semi auto trans and fluid drive trans after 1941, the main reason I never looked at buying one. It is interesting concept. but I would prefer a standard transmission and clutch.

A couple of points; the fluid in the fluid drive is another potential source for contaminating your clutch,  you should not have any wear on your clutch with fluid drive. I think the bell housing\transmission will be longer so you will need to modify your driveshaft as well.

My truck has a fluid drive 4 speed. It was original to the truck so I kept it. It works just fine but there is more to it than a standard type clutch and transmission. Yes it is a bit easier to drive in heavy traffic.....but I wouldn't fit one to a non FD truck without very good reason. And yes the parking brake is an absolute.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I have Fluid Drive in my '51 Dodge pickup. From just an operation standpoint, it lets me drive in 3rd at a very low speed. My parking brake doesn't work (long story), so when I park, I leave it in reverse, and put a small two by four behind the wheel. Its been fine this way, for me, for a long time. ?

On 8/5/2020 at 5:30 AM, Merle Coggins said:

To be able to adapt to a Fluid Drive setup you would need

an engine with an 8 hole crankshaft flange

a Fluid Drive bell housing

a Fluid Drive unit, to go along with your long input shaft 3 speed. 

SO, back to transmissions, now that it seems my 4 speed with PTO is non-syncro, it is a no go.

And a PTO in a 3 speed is also (from what I know) a no go?

I do have all of the above (and then some) to go the FD route, BUT

Do I need a different floor board shifter plate/cover?

That I may be missing, need to check, I have one in my inventory list that states 'does not fit'

If I recall the front angle was wrong?

Edited by billrigsby

7 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

Don't forget about that driveshaft length or the need for that removable frame crossmember...

Got two drive shafts, (forgot to mention that)  but crossmember?  NO

I'll need to look into this further; tomorrow!

Good luck with this. I am certain that several of us will chime in to help you with questions.

A couple of comments I would like to add. If you are going to do this make sure you get the parking brake to work correctly. using a block of wood etc....is not a real world solution. It is true that having the FD does make for a nice driving experience. It will lug down to next to nothing in 3rd and accelerate without a shudder. Not quickly but it will do it. It is also nice when taking off from a stop on a hill.

You will however need to keep track of all the component lengths when putting something like this together. And have a FD that has not been damaged by incorrect handling when it was taken off the donor vehicle.

Hth, Jeff

fluid drive is nice; my ‘52 b3c has it.  and you can take off in high (3rd), but it isn’t fast.  that said, don’t let the non-synchro 4-speed scare you; shifting them gets easy with a bit of driving.  my b1f has a spur gear 4-speed, and i enjoy driving it.  i admit that having a 2-speed rear makes it even better.