Removing Thermostats?

keithb7

1 hour ago, Hickory said:

I tell my wife that the picture shows it's supposed to leak some oil

Reminds me of working on the m88 ( army's tank tow truck)

You don't check whether it leaks, it leaks brand new. You actually check for a certain amount of leakage in a specified time ( minutes). When it exceeds that it's time for an overhaul.

7 hours ago, 50mech said:

Reminds me of working on the m88 ( army's tank tow truck)

You don't check whether it leaks, it leaks brand new. You actually check for a certain amount of leakage in a specified time ( minutes). When it exceeds that it's time for an overhaul.

That's similar to how the service manual has you determine if bearing clearances are good for my 218, lol.  Guess precision measurement tools were too expensive back then.

Speaking of the up-turned wheel cover with a fire under the oil pan, people did that in Minnesota when I lived there during the mid to late 70's.  I had a 62 Chrysler, and I tried to install one of those radiator hose engine block warmers, but something about it didn't work.  I just thought I had to have something like that, since everybody was telling me that when I took the car up there the first time (from Oklahoma).  I never had any issues with it starting, even in -40 F. temps (not wind chill, actual temp), and also even after I left the car up there over Christmas one year, when I had a ride back to Oklahoma with my Uncle & Aunt, and the battery froze while I was gone.  Took it inside & let it thaw for several days, then charged it up again.  Found out later that it was only producing around 9 volts, and the car STILL started in the winter.  (Only found out after I put it in my next car, a 72 Dodge Coronet, and it had trouble starting, ultimately due to a failing starter, but the first thing tested was the battery.)

I lived in Minnesota in the '90s. An out-of-stater moved there to work with us. After a number of months he asked why so many people had burglar alarms on their cars if crime was so low where we lived. He had been looking at the AC power plugs that extended through the grille to plug in the block heaters.

Pete

• Haha 1