Hand brake issue

Sniper
Go to solution Solved by DJK,

Went out to the garage this morning to adjust my hand brake.  Annual inspection is due this month and the hand brake is a bit soft.  So I busted out the service manual to follow the procedures.

For the step I get to step two and that adjust is not there at all.  Labeled 1 Guide Blt Adjusting nut (lower clearance) int he picture.

The whole adjust is not there, the holes are present for it and it appear the parking band is new.  I suspect the PO's mechanic put in a new parking band and didn't bother to put the adjuster back in..

In the picture below it appears to be a long bolt, double nutted with a lockwasher between the nuts.  Anyone know for sure?  And if so what do I need to get from the local Ace, if it is just a long bolt, two nuts and a lockwasher.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

20200802_102616.jpg

Mine was missing the anchor bolt and spring, rigged up a bolt with a nut between the inner and outer parts to achieve proper clearance. I'll look at mine tomorrow and get a picture for you.

Edited by DJK
update
  • Like 1

Yep, on mine is a flathead machine screw, double nutted on top. Likely not original though.

Spring hooks to a long straight wire that hooks into a hole in the next body cross support, the one about even to the back of driver door.

• Like 1

Sniper, there are several different styles of these. Any advice on what you need should be specific to the car you have or it may not adjust correctly. Same goes for pictures, need to be of like style and year.

It's a 1951 Plymouth Cambridge, see right below my name.  It looks exactly like the one in the the drawing I posted, right out of my service manual and less the missing parts I asked about.  Not sure how much more specific I can get. 

6 hours ago, DJK said:

the bolt you need is 1/4 -20 -2.5 inches long. I just noticed mine has the nuts on the bottom instead of on top like your picture.

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed, now to go buy the parts.