I KNOW! CALL PERTRONIX DIRECTLY, BUT.....

29 minutes ago, 50mech said:

Lol. That reminds me, I recently went to the USS North Carolina and spotted the A/C systems they had installed.... Mitsubishi... maybe they made the A/C units out of recyled zeros the ship had shot down lol.

More likely Mitsubishi had the air conditioners manufactured by Chinese workers using recycled U.S. metals that were processed in China. Lols! Yeah, we gotta laugh about this stuff. But seems pretty sad where things have gone?  My recent disc brake project on my truck has a Bendix master cylinder and AC Delco discs and calipers, Raybestos rear drums, and a bunch of other parts all of which were manufactured in China. I actually tried to buy stuff made in the U.S. but was impossible to find. Did I mention I don't like China!  Lols!  I could go on, but the moderators might through me off the site.

3 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

I agree with you both times Jeff. ? My goal also is reliability. I read on some of your earlier posts you have been using Autolite 306 plugs. My truck has had AC45 non resistor plugs which have worked well with my 12v and points. Do you think just staying with those is OK with the pertronix installed? 50mech suggested it shouldn't matter resistor or non resistor and that was confirmed by Pertronix technical rep. I'm uncertain if there is any reason to change plugs?

After trying a few different plugs I settled in on using NGK BR6S plugs in my truck along with a set of Belden resistor type wires. I found the NGK plugs to burn the cleanest of those that I tried. They run a perfect medium tan color in my truck. All the others showed sooty black grey. I have always found that NGK has an optimum plug for just about anything.

As I mentioned earlier getting the carburation just right took more effort than setting up the ignition system. My truck has FD and came with B & B equipped with a dashpot. No matter what I did with the original Carb I couldn't get it to run right. I lucked upon a NOS B & B on Ebay that was better but took several attempts to get it set just right. Now that it is right as it should be I help keep it that way with two modern sealed fuel filters in the system. And regular doses of MMO in the fuel tank. I don't care what anybody says about MMO the stuff works great as a fuel additive.

Hth. Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1