Do these welds look stock

Do these welds look stock, can not find any other evidence that the 'top' has been replaced.

These look like my welds ? front of cab?

20200730_190733_1600x1200.jpg.330105679c074f6575c0b67351cfda87.jpg  

20200730_190823_1600x1200.jpg.f68f71f7b02f5cb13ee7b16951fb0a38.jpg

My original trucks...

20200731_212745_compress25.jpg

20200731_212553_compress4.jpg

• Thanks 1

bill, i'd go with what bob (dodgeb4ya) says over anyone else.  some have zero dodge truck experience.  fwiw, my b-1-f has the same ugly lower welds.  the upper welds on yours  may not be original, but the lower welds on the upright/support might be.

Sloppy stick welding...it's what they did...some of the worst sheet metal welds I've seen were on a 35 Aiflow CW limousine. None of them were cracked or broke though...just ugly.

• Like 1

Another one of those "because I do not know" ... Is it possible these are brazed welds?

When I cut out the seat base from  truck floor ... it was a obvious brass colored filler or metal I was cutting out. I do not think it was steel or stick weld, I guess it could be depending on rod being used.

Kinda makes sense to me, same guy brazing the seat in for mass production purposes, would also be doing the welds pictured above?

If grinding on the weld does not make sparks then very good chance it was brazed by someone besides the factory. Golden colored power left from the grinding is close to 100% confirmation. 

I Hate to try following repairs done with braze that are best done with steel weld of any type , almost impossible to get rid of 100% of the brass!

They do Not play well together!  Always a close to unwinnable fight.  (my past experiences).

Does anyone know of the factory using brazing in the building of Mopar bodies? Curious to know? 

Welded and then leaded over very common on tops to main body seams.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Spelling again!
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the responses, seems the general consensus is that they had bad welders back in the day.

From the two photos posted by Dodgeb4ya it looks like I have both stock and repair welds?

But who knows for sure, I'll run with it. The interior is already painted.

20200730_190733.JPG.5646fd0d52c49b3d58b064534df15769.JPG

That 1st weld looks to have evidence of wire welding, the 2nd looks to have employed a shielding gas...brazing was a common sheet metal repair of that era, with some service stations using oxy-acetyl torch + wire coat hangers to score more business, but production welds appear to have been stick welds, which ain't easy on sheet metal especially if done in a hurry, but it can be done.  Brazing is kinda expensive compared to stick welding when compared on a mass production basis, but low volume production brazing is competitive in some cases depending on setup...

16 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

That 1st weld looks to have evidence of wire welding, the 2nd looks to have employed a shielding gas...brazing was a common sheet metal repair of that era, with some service stations using oxy-acetyl torch + wire coat hangers to score more business, but production welds appear to have been stick welds, which ain't easy on sheet metal especially if done in a hurry, but it can be done.  Brazing is kinda expensive compared to stick welding when compared on a mass production basis, but low volume production brazing is competitive in some cases depending on setup...

Thanks it makes sense to me, If they could save 3 cents on the assembly line they would.

My seat base had to come out, while grinding I thought to myself this was not a normal weld. I can imagine that mopar actually had a stick built just for them. May not be pretty but it was functional.