What Are Thees Parts / Stock?

I am going to combine a bunch of questions after going through crates of parts.

Is this a stock arm rest, and are repros available and where?

Only have one, but can cover the passenger mounts with the trim.

20200731_131904_1600x1200.jpg.e952a6fd6cb0abf1b9f7a8753f8749a5.jpg 

20200731_131909_1600x1200.jpg.3a7323c4a18a35926a68a20ca6d299f5.jpg

20200731_131916_1600x1200.jpg.af53c179158317710aaacb4df37fe419.jpg

Do these go into the front of the cab 'legs', looks like I made them back in my 20s, Fab skills have improved ?

20200726_124713_1600x1200.jpg.84a59371f318d70f31a72d82f1666a78.jpg  20200726_124725_1600x1200.jpg.4030b1bf49e6c4e7235c3342834ad17e.jpg

Any idea of the 'year' of this Tach, sending unit available?

20200731_130106_1600x1200.jpg.3d98351eb7019fe6f7679e26ed625900.jpg

20200731_130114_1600x1200.jpg.a48e96d682a8e1d1a79a22026f3bef9c.jpg

How does this 'chassis' number relate, in general?

20200730_191715_1600x1200.jpg.9e421e2d26728672176c83432c06407a.jpg

That appears to be a factory armrest for the early B-series...I am not aware of any reproductions available but I recall someone posted years ago that ford reproduction arm rests of that era are close...

That tach appears to be from the late 60s...I picked up a few on eBay years ago, in good used to mint conditions, with and without sending units...I found several service sources online that retrofitted the tach guts with solid state electronics that eliminated the sending unit,  but never contacted any of them...my guess is that retrofit is probably as robust as the guys who can replace obsolete radio guts of that era with modern solid state electronics...

That cab number would also be found with the serial number on the build card to verify matching numbers from the factory...several members have found out that their projects have non-original cabs when they received their build cards, though it's still a relatively rare occurrence...more information on this can be found on the Pilot-House registry :cool:

Those arm rests MIGHT be from a B1 or a B2 truck....or are from a car of the same era.  They are NOT right for a B3 or B4 ( those have plastic bases ).  You can measure hole to hole and compare to the holes on the door for mounting to see if they match up.  DCM has repopped the latter years, maybe the earlier ones as well.

Thanks, The arm rest was in the vehicle, 48 1 ton, passenger side was missing.

Do not remember if there were holes in the passenger side trim.

Of course I did not take a photo with the passenger door open ?

Have to check my slides to see if the 'through' the vehicle shot shows any.

Any chance only the drivers side got one stock?

4 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

Later models in the 60's Dodge sweptline trucks ... it was a option for the passenger side to have a arm rest. I have no clue when this was started.

I think it is plausible for a 50's truck to only have a drivers side arm rest if the 60's did.

1 hour ago, billrigsby said:

Thanks, The arm rest was in the vehicle, 48 1 ton, passenger side was missing.

Do not remember if there were holes in the passenger side trim.

Of course I did not take a photo with the passenger door open ?

Have to check my slides to see if the 'through' the vehicle shot shows any.

yes.  most came that way.  my '48 b-1-f only has the driver's side armrest, and clearly never had one for the passenger.

P1080007.jpg

P1080008.jpg

yours sure looks just like the armrest from my '48

you might notice my winder isn't stock - when i got the truck, it only had one, which was broken off. now i have a matched, incorrect pair.

Edited by wallytoo
  • Thanks 1

I’m certainly no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have only seen that early arm rest offered as an option for the drivers door. However, the metal part of the passenger door was made to accept that arm rest as well. 

5 minutes ago, David A. said:

I’m certainly no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have only seen that early arm rest offered as an option for the drivers door. However, the metal part of the passenger door was made to accept that arm rest as well. 

could be for those "down under" versions, no?  they'd want the armest on the "passenger" door.

Arm rests were not standard even in a "delux" cab...I've only ever seen one in the wild on a door for any B series truck.  Door panels had no holes so I know there weren't just removed.

ALL the doors have the mounting locations.

WooHoo, one less thing to look for

Glad I got one for me!   ?

As far as your cab serial number plate is concerned, that 4712 number looks to me like a cab from a 1947 1/2 ton WC  truck with the cab serial number that follows. At least that is what I have learned through researching. My 1941 WC 1/2 ton Military truck has a cab plate stamped 4162. The 62 is the model number of the cab which had some differences to the civilian Model which would have been like your plate with a 12. Hope this info helps.

8 hours ago, Dozerman51 said:

As far as your cab serial number plate is concerned, that 4712 number looks to me like a cab from a 1947 1/2 ton WC  truck with the cab serial number that follows. At least that is what I have learned through researching. My 1941 WC 1/2 ton Military truck has a cab plate stamped 4162. The 62 is the model number of the cab which had some differences to the civilian Model which would have been like your plate with a 12. Hope this info helps.

i didn’t realize the wc trucks had the same cabs as the pilothouse-era trucks.  interesting.

from my '48 b-1-f:

b-1-fa-006.jpg

Edited by wallytoo

The 47 is when the cab was designed. That tag on a 41-47 truck starts with 41. The next 2 numbers I believe are the type of cab not the size of truck. So a panel or a cowl only would have a diff #

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

The 47 is when the cab was designed. That tag on a 41-47 truck starts with 41. The next 2 numbers I believe are the type of cab not the size of truck. So a panel or a cowl only would have a diff #

that makes a lot more sense.

13 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Arm rests were not standard even in a "delux" cab...I've only ever seen one in the wild on a door for any B series truck.  Door panels had no holes so I know there weren't just removed.

ALL the doors have the mounting locations.

as i learned years ago, my truck appears to be a bit rare, as it had many features on it that were not on most trucks.  dual sunvisors, armrest, triple bumper overriders, fresh air package, heater, electric wipers, wing vents.  as an "fa", it also had a 2-speed eaton 1350, and a midland brake booster, and the extra frame sill plate along the middle of the frame.

this is the extra sill plate, which terminates just in front of the rear spring anchor:

P2190014.jpg

IMG-0878.jpg

IMG-0883.jpg

Edited by wallytoo

6 hours ago, JBNeal said:

Based on this information, this cab is what I thought it was.

4712 Cab 1948-49 B-1 B, C, D, F, H, R, T, V

6 hours ago, wallytoo said:

as i learned years ago, my truck appears to be a bit rare, as it had many features on it that were not on most trucks.  dual sunvisors, armrest, triple bumper overriders, fresh air package, heater, electric wipers, wing vents.  as an "fa", it also had a 2-speed eaton 1350, and a midland brake booster, and the extra frame sill plate along the middle of the frame.

this is the extra sill plate, which terminates just in front of the rear spring anchor:

Well I guess mine is a bit rare also, got one arm rest, a pair of sun visors, heater, electric wipers and wing (smoker) windows. ?

9 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

Well I guess mine is a bit rare also, got one arm rest, a pair of sun visors, heater, electric wipers and wing (smoker) windows. ?

Was a time they offered the xtras for a price.

Mine is a bit different also, it is a true 1949, while it has all the next year 1950 upgrades. which included the shifter moved to the column and e-brake under the dash ... numbers matching 1949 title / engine and has a 1950 motor., air ride seat .... but no arm rest for me  :(

45 minutes ago, wallytoo said:

i've got the air-ride seat, too.  forgot about that one.

Actually so do I, was that not standard on all pilothouse cabs?

i don't believe it was.  at least on the b-3 and b-4 cabs, it wasn't.  my b-3-c does not have it.  it does have wing windows, but not the 1/4-windows.  oh, my '48 does have those, too.  i wonder if the change in the 48-series cabs was the deletion of the rear 1/4 window from all cabs, making it an option?  vs the 47-series like yours and mine.

Edited by wallytoo

you got a pretty decked out truck, someone spent a pile of money ($100 or so I'd bet) back then for all that stuff.  Drop a list of it all, I could look up the exact numbers with a list.

FEF got a "delux" cab: corner and vent windows with a diver sun visor!  "DELUX"!