Anyone install a Pertronix in IGS series distributors?

After long consideration, I purchased a Pertronix 92563LS Ignitor-II electronic ignition module for my truck having a IGS series distributor. I just finished rebuilding the distributor due to worn shaft, bushings, and advance governor. So, my thinking was now that it's running great, I would try the Pertronix lobe pickup to replace the points which over the years have given me some grief from oxidation due to my truck being unused for lengthy periods. I'd keep the ballast resistor (disconnected) on the firewall and an extra breaker plate with points and condenser ready to install if the Pertronix were to fail. Make sense?  Anyhow, Before purchasing,  I contacted Pertronix and specifically asked if any modifications were needed to install this unit. They assured me "no modification needed".  Well, guess what! The unit will not mount to the breaker plate without removing the riveted in cam screw used to adjust the points. That's a modification in my opinion? Not a big deal, I have extra breaker plates I could modify, but it makes me wonder about their engineers and marketing?  I contacted them and raised my concern. Their reply: " Sorry about the issue. I have been told only the IAP series distributor needed this type of modification. I'll have to send this over to the R&D department for them to look at their info again".  I'm wondering if anyone here has installed a Pertronix unit in an IGS series distributor? Did it work out OK? Did it change the clocking of the distributor at all? How did you address the lead wires? The only place on these distributors for the leads to pass through is the rectangular opening where the connector for the point wire attaches. Any ideas on a rubber insulator for that opening?

RE:  leads through rectangular opening

In similar applications, I have potted wires through case openings by using masking tape as a form or backing and carefully applying black RTV silicone, being careful to have the leads spaced at least one wire diameter...this effectively casts a flexible seal that is economical, robust, and easy to replace when required :cool:

• Like 2

I had to make the same sort of modification to my distributor when I decided to put a pertronix module in my truck. It bothered me at the time. But it has not bothered me since. ?

I have been using my truck daily for 6 years now......and this unit has been flawless. No way am I ever going back to P & C........

Jeff

• Like 1

I put in a Pertronix setup 6-7 years ago and had to remove the post that the old points pivoted on I believe it was. I also call the Co. and talked to their tech. Told him the issue and rather matter of factually said-well on some that needs to be removed. So! - just do it!  I did Email a note about their Bad customer service techs to the office!

Pissed me off at the time! But I did have another Dist. available so I tried it. Worked well then and after.

I just tried to see the dist. plate on the car but was just to far down and away.

Per memory thought it is a IGS and from what I Could see appeared to be so.

DJ

Thanks guys! I've decided to go forward with the Pertronix install. I removed the eccentric screw from an extra breaker plate I had. The module fits nicely now. I think I'm going to drill a hole through the distributor body to route the wires through. On my distributor it appears this will give me a better strain relief on the wires. I'll add a round grommet and some RTV to seal. The wires from the module are not long enough to reach my coil which is mounted on the firewall. I could splice in wire for longer length, but I think adding a connector might be a more professional way to go? Would make it easier for future distributor removals. I am however having difficulty finding a good quality automotive 2 pin connector? I'm looking for one that you crimp or solder the metal parts and then lock into the plastic housings.