3 Speed transmission parts

My 1958 Fargo Sweptside has the factory 3 speed 3 on the tree transmission in it.

im in need of a gasket set, or maybe a minor rebuild kit for it, but I’m not having any luck finding one out there.

anyone got a suggestion for where I can source a 1958 3 speed gasket/rebuild kit?

If you had the part#'s for the specific 3 speed in your truck you could find parts...there are at least two 3 speeds in those series of trucks. The Fargo might make it more difficult...

The trans might be a New Process or Warner etc.

ID the trans then search.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

I had a heck of a time finding parts for my 4-speed from the normal places. Got lucky and talked to John at Northwest Transmission 937-442-2811 in Ohio. We talked for about 20 mins. He was able to find mine in a book (heard him turning pages, impressed someone still uses them) and sent me the gaskets I needed. He said they had most of the parts to rebuild if I needed after opening it up. 

• Like 1

Here’s what I have; I’ve given the trans a rough clean, but as of yet I haven’t found any identifying numbers.

can anyone suggest where any ID numbers might be on it, or ID what transmission this is?

3D4091C9-B8F5-4BEA-97B9-1413CC151A29.jpeg

B6BF9972-7D49-48C2-A26C-6B23F4210382.jpeg

C511F157-7AB6-4BD6-8373-51D7D659D4F2.jpeg

858FEEC4-FA9E-464E-8576-B1DF66CF3001.jpeg

Cant be for sure, but from looking at the pilothouseclub website: http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/ph_parts/pilothouse.htm I think it looks close to the Truck-O-Matic, mostly because there doesnt appear to be a shift tower like on a manual transmission, but its also missing some solenoids/valves as seen below..  It may be worth going to their website and looking at both the repair manuals and parts manuals, Ive been able to identify some parts from their website before.

image.png.857f9116b7c77d30910cb03311e2a1ae.pngimage.png.b8d4ccdc772de295be7a160a5c9f27f0.png

Looks to be the standard 1940 to 56 MoPar 3 speed.

Parts should be fairly easy to find..gaskets, syncro's etc.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Simple gaskets like those, shift selector/cover on the side and tail housing main case can be made from flat stock from any parts store.  Much faster and easier than locating from an online or mail order source.  Once disassembled you can lay the material on the case and cut it with a small ball peen hammer.   Do a bolt hole first and drop a bolt in it to hold it in place for further cuts.   Probably 5 minutes work.

Unless there are issues with it, you may not need synchros, bearings or other parts.

Thanks for the info gents.

making the gaskets is always an easy option, I was thinking of a minor rebuild or refresh kit so I’m assuming gaskets would be part of that.

The truck had been parked for 25 years when I got it, so I have no idea what the condition of the transmission itself is.

obviously I will be opening it up and doing a visual inspection of gear teeth and synchros.

IS there a way on the bench to get a general feel on the condition of a transmission? Things to look for, basic tests/sloppiness etc?