1937 Dodge D5 Business Coupe

Sharps40

I guess we are far enough along to safely say I'm buying this one.   At least the loan is approved, insurance bought, and I spent all day pushing paperwork. Getting to the last of it and should have the paper end of the purchase in the mail Fri or Sat. Some pics from the seller while I wait. Hope the Coupe looks and runs half as good on arrival. Kinda 2 dream cars for me and Dad....Ol Bessy the Sedan back on the road and a 37 Dodge Business Coupe to bumble around with her.

Hopefully Dad/Mom are serious about moving close to us in the next months. (Dad is 81, Mom is 79 i drive from NC to VA once each month to help them for a week.)

Just two weeks back Dad indicated he was so proud of having his Bessy back on the road and wouldn't it be great to have a 37 Coupe or Truck to work on and then ride with her. 4 Days later i found a 36 truck and this coupe. Decided to go for the coupe, it still has what amounts to a truck bed and its the same year as Ol Bessy. Plus the truck looked too nice to consider "working on".

From the photos and discussions it seems this one still has the original D5 1937 block in place. So, compression checks, etc on arrival and we'll see if it stays flat head with some old speed parts or not, (somewhere around here i have Bessy's original 37 head shaved 40 or 60 thousands for a compression bump)...but during that conversation two weeks back Dad kept referring to the 292 chevy 6, 3 carbs, automatic, etc. For 81 he still has the bug!

He dosn't know about the Coupe yet (wanted to make sure I actually got it and got it here first).

With luck, I'll have the Coupe here and running solid before they arrive on their house hunting trip in mid to late August. Dad will be tickled.....Mom will probably hit me.  I plan to park Ol Bessy and Huddie (the Coupe) in the front yard so they see both when pulling in.   Dad has not yet even seen Ol Bessy the sedan since she's had final assembly and been getting out on the road.  Should be cool.

coupe3.jpg

coupe2.jpg

Coupe1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice Coupe........Yep, I'd be getting the head swapped or ground and add another carby and a twin system then go hunt some Frods..........lol.............nice car either way...........andyd

• Thanks 1

Nice car! What part of NC? Wife and I have a house in East NC, near Oriental and will be full time down there in about two years. Hoping to there’s a few guys around the area that like to wrench and chew the fat, and toss back the occasional beer.

Edited by Mark D

Nice body style. I had a 37 Chrysler coupe back in the day. They do indeed have a huge trunk and are good for hauling stuff.?