Help with idenfication, Kingsway 51

Kingsway51

Hello. Someone that could help me with identification of my gearbox number in my Dodge Kingsway Custom from 1950/51. Would like to know if it's comes from a "standard" car or from a truck?

The car assembled in Sweden back then.Best regards from Sweden.

20200729_184703~2_exported_163077022172327505.jpg

Edited by Kingsway51

I can't help very much, but I just pulled one with the same casting number from a 1952 Plymouth Concord 2 Door Fastback.  I believe that the 'short' tailshaft is for the short wheel-based cars.  I don't know about trucks though.

20200729_183630_resized.jpg

Hi Merle. Ok, thanks for the information. Might then be that this is a genuine and right gerabox for my car. Just little bit tired of the " short" ratio of gear 1 and 2. Of course is  gear 3 most used while driving but after 80 km/h it feels like the engine will explode.....( smile). Ok, maybe thats normal with cars from 1950! Best regards Timo

the number in the OP's pic is the casting number not a part number.  Speaking generically here, differing part number items with the same casting number can have machining differences, or the gear ratios may differ, things like that determine a part number.  Sort of like the difference between the 218 and the 230 boils down to rods and crank.  Might use a lot of the same stuff but it's not the same part number.  Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the OP's questions, sorry.

George Asche sent me a "faster" set of gears for the 2nd.

I now make 60 kmh / 37 mph easily in 2nd.

120 kmh / 75 mph were painful without overdrive.

With George´s overdrive mine makes 140 kmh/ 85 mph  with ~ 2200 rpm - if really  wanted...

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

just a salute to Sweden.

(2017 we visited my sister and brother in law , living in Viken)

20170619_152914KL.jpg.7f14269b9a9f5dd300460a7f785f81f1.jpg

Edited by Go Fleiter
  • Like 1

Just to add some colour to the topic of gear changes:

When we change gear ratios and leave engine HP and torque as they are,  we may get higher top end speed, but it may take you longer to get there. On steep hill climbs you may be forced to run your engine at too low of rpm to make maximum torque. On a hill you may be passed by the ghost of your earlier car, with its stock gears. Various gear ratios were chosen to offer performance based on the the weight of the car, its ability to overcome wind resistance, rolling resistance, top speed,  average payload load capacity (coupe can't carry 5 people, yet a sedan often does and both cars often share the same engine) acceleration, horsepower, torque and probably more things that I'm overlooking. You've only go so much to work with. Changing gear ratios might be like robbing Peter to pay Paul in overall performance. Unless, you take the car away from stock and start modifying various factors that effect performance.  No nitrogen in your tires is not a factor. LOL. 

I like to compare gear ratios to riding a bicycle. 21 speeds and more are easily available on a bike today. Your heart and thighs are the engine to get you up a hill.  Try pedalling up a steep hill in a gear you'd likely use when traveling on flat terrain. How does your heart and legs feel? The look on your face tells me it's a struggle.  That's how your car engine is working too.  Tune up your body, get fit,  you can do it easier. I see young conditioned cyclists climb hills easily. Sort of like adding dual carbs, shaving the cylinder head, lightening the flywheel, advancing timing on your engine. You could probably change out from 4.11 to 3.73 diff gears and fly up that hill with the new HP and torque.

Probably stating the obvious here...It stimulates my brain.

Edited by keithb7

I have a 3:73 in my truck, which has a 218. It would not climb the long up grade of Pacheco Pass,Ca in 3rd gear. 2nd was my shoice and then ihadto stay far right so cars could zip by, 2nd and OD would have been very nice.