Bob Riding

I was jazzed to find a NOS window crank for my '54 Chrysler T&C wagon project. It seems that Chrysler used a round swaged retainer to keep the crank attached to the base, (there are 2 indentations that lock it in place) but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove it without destroying it. Because there were so few of these wagons made, I'm not thinking the replacement retainer is even available. I've marked the base in white - a red arrow points to the retainer and there is a spring washer is underneath. Suggestions?

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

All I can think is to heat it and pry.

Any reason you couldnt use a regular push nut or shaft collar?

My other thought would be to make one.

You can get a flaring tool like is used for brake line all the way up to an inch. Standard ones go to 5/8" if it's not bigger than that. Here's a cheapie that goes to 3/4"

Although for one time use I'd be tempted to make my own flaring tool by drilling hole in something to accept the tube, countersinking then grinding a taper on a bolt or something to hammer a flare out.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Professional-Flaring-Swaging-10-Piece/dp/B07QCRW7Q6/ref=pd_aw_vtp_328_3/138-6004676-5427559?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07QCRW7Q6&pd_rd_r=b79c0823-593f-4699-ae5e-f19ab330acb9&pd_rd_w=SIvAs&pd_rd_wg=DbBQc&pf_rd_p=5085589e-0bcd-4a9b-8586-5f6f4081dcbe&pf_rd_r=8FFAMV0J99E2NPV03058&psc=1&refRID=8FFAMV0J99E2NPV03058

Some thinwall steel tubing flared and cut to length would mimic that really well.

Edited by 50mech

Even better! I’m off to the home supply store to check them out. Way cheaper than speedi sleeves. The crank handle is going to get such occasional use that it would take a long time to wear through a brass bushing.

3 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

Even better! I’m off to the home supply store to check them out. Way cheaper than speedi sleeves. The crank handle is going to get such occasional use that it would take a long time to wear through a brass bushing.

Those tube supports will be hard to find, but you'll probably have luck with a push nut. Maybe even an axle cap type drilled through.

Just use one off a 1946-52 Mopar outside door handle

Removing and swapping Different MoPar Outer handle Shafts (4).JPG

Door handle Escutcheon repair Work 1946-52 Mopar cars (17).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1