Vehicle number verses serial number

Dryerventwizard

Top plate is the serial number, which evolved into today's VIN (vehicle identification number).  That's what should be on your title/registration, although there's past conversation herein regarding States using engine number vs. serial number before the VIN requirement standardized all that.   

The middle plate is the body number, or the serial number of just the car body not to be confused with the car's overall serial number.

The bottom plate is the builder's plate.  Each Division (Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler) had their own builder's plate.  Basically another badge.  That one's pretty far gone, they're actually rather nice looking.  Reproductions of those are available. 

As to why so many?  Who knows, but modern vehicles still have what amounts to the same data on them somewhere.

A little trick I've saw used on worn items  is to dust the item with flour and shake off the excess. Sometimes it will help just enough to make out a number that was unreadable . 

Someone can chime in with other sources, but "The Plymouth Doctor" comes to mind, and of course, a good ol' Ebay search could be revealing.  I'd research your State's laws on new VIN plates before monkeying with the serial number plate.  May not be an issue with cars built before the Federal VIN statutes came about, but every State tends to be different.  Usually requires some sort of inspection by a State official to verify you're not up to no-good.

14 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Top plate is the serial number, which evolved into today's VIN (vehicle identification number).  That's what should be on your title/registration, although there's past conversation herein regarding States using engine number vs. serial number before the VIN requirement standardized all that.   

The middle plate is the body number, or the serial number of just the car body not to be confused with the car's overall serial number.

The bottom plate is the builder's plate.  Each Division (Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler) had their own builder's plate.  Basically another badge.  That one's pretty far gone, they're actually rather nice looking.  Reproductions of those are available. 

As to why so many?  Who knows, but modern vehicles still have what amounts to the same data on them somewhere.

California goes by serial number thats whats on the pink

On 7/29/2020 at 8:05 AM, Dryerventwizard said:

California goes by serial number thats whats on the pink

That is not strictly true. A number of California old cars have the engine number on the Pink Slip if the car came from out of state and that state used the engine number. My 1949 Desoto is a case in point. It was first sold in Virginia then came to California in 1955.

I had to document the hell out of everything and get a CHP VIN officer over to my place to sign the paperwork AND send it directly to the Special Processing Unit of CA-DMV to get it changed on the Pink from the engine number to the body (door) serial number.

James.

15 hours ago, Dryerventwizard said:

I guess that means if u change the engine then ur in trouble. LOL.

Not really. The original engine number is stamped on the frame rail near the left rear wheel.  Probably have to do some wire brushing and cleaning to make it stand out.

4 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

Not really. The original engine number is stamped on the frame rail near the left rear wheel.  Probably have to do some wire brushing and cleaning to make it stand out.

On my 1949 it is on the TOP of the frame rail and can only be seen with the body off.

That is why I went to the trouble when it was off of changing the Pink Slip from the engine number to the door number.

James.

PS. Although my new engine block has the "correct" engine number on it....although a sharp eye would tell you it is not a 1949 block...hand me that last stamp please...:-)

Edited by James_Douglas

I worked in the automotive repair industry when I was a teenager living in Idaho.. The majority of the GM vehicles had engine numbers, no body numbers. The DPCD vehicles had serial numbers, usually on the door jamb, a body number on the cowl and an engine number on the engine block. Ford only had a serial number stamped into the left frame rail, adjacent to the steering gears.

When an engine swap was done to replace a bad engine we did one of two things, depending on the whims of the shop owner.

1. Grind the number off of the old engine, stamping that number into the new engine.

2. Take the paperwork for the new engine and the paperwork for the old engine to the court house having the new engine number      transferred to the tile/registration.

The most common practice was to just do nothing, sending the vehicle out with incorrect numbers.

I have owned an engine number stamp set for over fifty years to correct numbers on engines and/or vehicles.

My brother owned a '37 Ford for almost twenty years in California, he moved to Idaho taking the Ford with him. When he attempted to transfer the registration to Idaho the inspection of the vehicle revealed that the serial number on the frame did not match the title/registration.. Took awhile to get things straightened out. Wm

If you have a title that doesn't match the numbers on your vehicle you only have a few choices. Let it slide and hope for the best, go through the process required by your state to get it to conform to their standards, or wait until a vehicle comes along with the correct paperwork. The last option would be my recommendation. To the best of my knowledge re-stamping or modifying a VIN in any way is illegal no matter where you live. These old cars aren't worth the hassle.

Edited by MackTheFinger