1 Ton - Which Engine to Use ???

while i don’t use first gear low often, it’s nice when i really have a load on (like 4 tons of ice blocks).  i typically use 2nd gear low for starting out, even empty, and then either pop up to 2nd high or shift to 3rd low.  i’ve never pulled any stumps with a vehicle.  i also drive on rough roads to access job sites, so 1st low comes in handy to minimize to bouncing.

plus, i utilize the pto to operate the dump unit.

Edited by wallytoo

For that we have tractors, and I know people with explosives permits LOL

12 hours ago, billrigsby said:

Well I knew the three speeds were synchros, I did not know anything about the four speeds so I'll have to look into the one I've got if it's not a synchro I'm not going that route.

Just when you thought you had it all fitterd out! ?

Here's a quick visual identifier on the 4 speeds...

The early non-synchronized, spur gear, type has the PTO towards the front with the fill/level plug behind it. And the drain plug points down at an angle. 

P1161576.JPG.49e831f98e4e8d61642b04f3b730a7c1.JPG

The later synchronized version has the PTO towards the rear with the fill/level plug in front of it. And the drain plug points straight back. 

PA250824.JPG.7fc48d08f8a6713c59f86a05da539759.JPG 

31 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Here's a quick visual identifier on the 4 speeds...

The early non-synchronized, spur gear, type has the PTO towards the front with the fill/level plug behind it. And the drain plug points down at an angle. 

P1161576.JPG.49e831f98e4e8d61642b04f3b730a7c1.JPG

31 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Dang, Looks to be non-syncro;

Trans.PNG.15ce95493745da60551f306149561153.PNG

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2020 at 7:00 PM, JBNeal said:

T306 has a more robust rear main seal, timing cover seal, and the internal thermostat bypass head...

I am looking at a Best Gasket Set on EBay, question is, with out me going through crates of parts,

which rear main seal does the T306 use, is it this one. That is what is included with the gasket kit?

6292_1274.jpg.3676a22c67d2d1c3a9201e54b9fddbe3.jpg

22 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

that looks like that would work ?

I was hoping that's what you would say, but the in the block rubber one is more expensive for some reason, thanks

6 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

That D-34 has green paint on the block......quite possible that it is a Jasper remanufactured engine.

I did see that and I was wondering if someone just repainted it, is that their signature?

Right now going with the T306, doesn't hurt to have a backup though.