Kids are now officially married off...More me time?

keithb7

Well 2 weddings in 2020 are behind us. Both of our sons were married this year. They are well on their way.  So In theory I should have more me time...

Earlier in July I was going to pull the rad in my ‘38 to be rebuilt. I was reminded that the kids wanted my ‘38 in their wedding photos.  So I put-off the job. 

This week the kids were to take off for their honeymoon. Headed to Tofino BC. I jumped in my son’s 2000 Ford Focus the day before departure. I winced at it. Running rough! I told him to take Mom’s car for the honeymoon. I’d work on his Focus in his absence. So this week I’m using an OBD2 reader. Replacing and cleaning worn parts. Also a rear brake job including new wheel cylinders. Having some old car experience, and proper tools sure makes this work a little more pleasant. 

Next task, other son suffered a mechanical breakdown out on his Seadoo last night. In a quick moving river!  He had a good learning experience. Time to mentor him a little more on Seadoo maintenance. He will turn the wrenches and enjoys it. I will remind him we own a factory service manual. Perhaps he should start studying it. Lol. 

So my ‘38 sits for a while yet. 

054F261C-EACE-453A-A12A-A9BABB5AC9E6.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

congrats on entering empty nest syndrome...however do not think that is automatic ME time....that snake will wrap you up, squeeze the life out of you....you must make those about you aware of the intended use of ME TIME and stick to your guns.  Good gift of fixing the Focus....am sure his focus is on other things...

• Like 1

Get er' done soon- Money/time soon to go where?

The grand kids are are a comin'. ?

Grandma wants -(  new room?) for babies to sleep, overnights/longer?

That time will be great but your time? Where did it all go?

DJ

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, keithb7 said:

Well 2 weddings in 2020 are behind us. Both of our sons were married this year. They are well on their way.  So In theory I should have more me time...

Earlier in July I was going to pull the rad in my ‘38 to be rebuilt. I was reminded that the kids wanted my ‘38 in their wedding photos.  So I put-off the job. 

Running rough! I told him to take Mom’s car for the honeymoon. I’d work on his Focus in his absence. So this week I’m using an OBD2 reader. Replacing and cleaning worn parts. Also a rear brake job including new wheel cylinders. Having some old car experience, and proper tools sure makes this work a little more pleasant.   replace this with an intake runner control actuator replacement and thermostat change on a Dodge Journey for my Grandson, and its sounds like my week. 

See notes above.  Been 'empty nest' for years.  Still looking for more me time.  Not complaining, my dad helped me a lot after he retired.  Kept him busy and sane .  And, me able to spend more time with those that are important to me.  Just had 6 grand and greats here for couple of weeks and a great GS is going to live with the wife and me during his senior HS year.    I'll get to the PU some day,  these kids are much more important.

My dad (a finance guy) said something about the time value of money cutting two ways.  Money saved today will grow to be more money to spend tomorrow, but what cost a lot today will cost even more tomorrow.  If this gives you any idea what he's trying to tell me, then that's one of us.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

My dad (a finance guy) said something about the time value of money cutting two ways.  Money saved today will grow to be more money to spend tomorrow, but what cost a lot today will cost even more tomorrow.  If this gives you any idea what he's trying to tell me, then that's one of us.

My interpretation is this: Don’t get any silly ideas about getting ahead

Thanks for the intel guys...I have a better idea of my years ahead. Lol. As long as I have a garage, tools and an able body, I have accepted the fact that I will be the family mechanic. I will try with earnest to educate my sons throughout the process. Next job: 2 new CV drive shafts in my son's Ford Focus. Not too bad. Besides, he's back from the honeymoon. The Honeyoon is now officially over. He will turn the wrenches and pack the grease under his finger nails while drink beer, supervise, and offer advice.

The kids have a friend with a drone. He took some footage of their wedding.  Here you can spot my vintage Mopars in the driveway...We are so very fortunate.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.53.17 PM.png

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I didn't get more time when my kids grew and married. I just got more things done.

My youngest daughter is now on her 3rd divorce. ;( Eldest daughter on her second. Ex-wife has left her 6th (?) husband now at 66.

Fortunately, none of them ever moved back to live with me and the new wife.

43 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

time for grand kids!  ?

tell them how that happens and it may delay it some...seriously young married folks need time with each other long before kids should come about...as Sheldon compared a woman to an egg salad sandwich...while makes sense is not just cause...

For others, who like me, might be wonder WTH @Plymouthy Adams is talking about...

"Sheldon tells Alex that “a woman is like an egg salad sandwich on a warm Texas day: full of eggs and only appealing for a short time".