Red water from radiator overflow

Phr

i ride more and more with my Windsor and i have noticed on the left front part of the chassis a big rust stain
in fact it’s rusted water that come from the radiator overflow,  seems a lot !

is it possible to avoid that ?
Anyone have an idea ?
I was thinking about a bad radiator cap ! without breading

the chassis was recently renewed , and now it’s ‘red’ On that part !

thanks

first off you are not a pressurized system in 1947....the over flow could be likely results of your over filling the radiator...these rads burp to a level just below the full mark mark and when heated and it expands has its own happy place at this level.   Continued filling past this happy point will lead to continued and repeated burping.  

OK you stated that the water coming out of the overflow tube is rusty water.  Have you ever removed the radiator cap when the engine is cool and taken a sample of the water to test for how cold the antifreeze will protect your engine?

Go to an auto store and get the  tube with the 5 balls and take a sample of the engine coolent.

If the color of the watre in the tube is rust color then you need to flush you engine and radiator.  The anti rusting agents have worn out in the antifreeze. The anti rusting agent prevent the block form rusting. You will still  have antifreeze protection but no longer and rusting protection.

Have a good raitor shop flush the entire engine and rad.  Then only use the old standard green antifreeze in your car  NOT the extended orange or yellow stuff sold at walmart.

Then go to a good auto supply and get a bottle or water pump lube and anti rust preventive it is approx 11 oz and a white color and then pour that into the rad.  This keeps the antirusting agents upto par.  I do that every fall just to help keep everyone correct.  Chrysler sold these chemicals in pint cans when our cars were brand new to help prevent this from happeneing. But since we have moved to more aluminum blocks we do not use the chemicals.

If you do not do this soon then you run the change of a core plug or freeze plug will start to leak and have more issues.

Change to the Green AF every five years and every fall put the antirusting agent into your rad.  Here isa picture of the Prestone product

Image result for prestone water pump anti rust

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I use the universal long life coolant in everything. Have been for many years. 
typical green coolant is good for 2 years. With the additive i can say it will last longer. The additive also contains water pump lube, so no worries there eithef. 

6 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Add an extension to the overflow tube so it will dump on the ground instead of the frame. Or just don’t overfill the radiator.....  ?

hi

many thanks for all your answer very usefull

Now I know that it's un-presure system

I will clean all the circuit, fill it with correct coolant added to anti-rust and will keep the level not to high ( mabe add extention to flush to the floor instead of the chassis in case of overflow ! )

IMG1738..jpg