Information Needed

rugbyjon112
Go to solution Solved by joecoozie,

Can anyone help me out sourcing a replacement oil filter? Preferably like the or in my 1947 P15 Special Deluxe. It looks like the ones I’ve seen with a replaceable filter cartridge, but the top doesn’t come off to replace the cartridge. See pic for reference.

6CAF7222-5B03-4823-94B0-CAFAAAD55FDB.jpeg

Thanks for the information everyone. That gives me a good starting point.

Rallyace - is actually like to replace that one with one of the ones that has a disposable filter cartridge inside.

9 hours ago, rugbyjon112 said:

Can anyone help me out sourcing a replacement oil filter? Preferably like the or in my 1947 P15 Special Deluxe. It looks like the ones I’ve seen with a replaceable filter cartridge, but the top doesn’t come off to replace the cartridge. See pic for reference.

6CAF7222-5B03-4823-94B0-CAFAAAD55FDB.jpeg

This filter is the type that has the dropin replaceable filter element. I have one on my 39 Desoto and use a NAPA Gold 1010 filter.  All you have to do is use the top bolt and loosen the nut all the way and the lid will come off the canister. pull out the filter via a metal wire then use a turkey baster to remove the ret of the oil  in the unit. Wiper it out with a clean cloth. put the new filter in clean the inside of the lid make sure you put the gasket back onthe lid tighten it down tight so no oil leask out from the rim when the car is sarted. then you are good to go for another 3000 miles.  Since the engine looks to be od and not restored I would suggest that you use a straight 30 weight non detergent oil. Can get this a walmart and it is better that the oil they had back inthe 40s.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

I got one of these to put on my flatty as it has the sealed canister set up.  It's a reproduction of the Fram aftermarket setup used back in the day. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/omx-1743603

But I decided since I am going to pull the engine anyway to go with a full flow setup.

Anyone have a link on that?

Thank you everyone for the great advice and direction. I’ll definitely give it a try.  It sounds like the cap is just stuck from sitting for Over 40 years. I can back the bolt all the way out, but the cap won’t move. Any advice on how to get it unstuck?

As 39Desoto says, tap the lid..............undo the bolt a few turns, spray some WD40 in & around the bolt , also under the lid, tap the lid gentley, around the edge & up under the edge, the bolts there for a reason.....it holds the lid on......so eventually the lid must come loose.............lol...........just be gentle and wish it nice thoughts............lol..........andyd

Edited by Andydodge
  • Thanks 1

• Solution

Also, I believe there is a spring inside that the bolt goes through so when you tap the lid to loosen it I'd keep the bolt in a few threads so the lid doesn't pop up suddenly.

I believe I see a drain plug on the bottom of the housing. If you remove that plug (with a can underneath it to catch the oil) most of the oil will drain out.

After I install the new cartridge I pour some fresh oil into the housing (sort of a "primer") before putting the lid back on, about half full, so when the car is started there will be oil available to the engine at startup.

• Thanks 1

All else fail, it's similar to opening a jar,  Some heat around the edge of the lid may work too.  But most likely the sealing gasket has glued the lid to the canister.  Some gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet may help.

Edited by Sniper

from what he describes...TOP DOES NOT COME OFF....he is describing the sealed cannister oil filter where housing and all is disposed of...getting harder to source and at the going rate an item I would be quickly replacing...for your enjoyment....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-1956-Plymouth-Straight-6-Straight-4-Engine-Oil-Filter-Sealed-Can-Type/172980818351?fits=Year%3A1947|Make%3APlymouth&hash=item284675d1af:g:tioAAMXQMmJRP5Rr

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

from what he describes...TOP DOES NOT COME OFF....he is describing the sealed cannister oil filter where housing and all is disposed of...getting harder to source and at the going rate an item I would be quickly replacing...for your enjoyment....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-1956-Plymouth-Straight-6-Straight-4-Engine-Oil-Filter-Sealed-Can-Type/172980818351?fits=Year%3A1947|Make%3APlymouth&hash=item284675d1af:g:tioAAMXQMmJRP5Rr

s-l1600.jpg

Sorry about the confusion.

I think you're correct in that he wants to replace this with a removable filter type.