RE: Compression test pics.

mrbobs48

Good catch, now you know what needs to be done. Also looks like the head gasket allowed blow-through between cylinders one and two.

Freshen up the valves, surface the head, install the new head gasket and hopefully your engine will be good for a long time.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Did I win the guessing contest in your other post? ? 

Great work getting in there and rolling up your sleeves. This is a great visual as to what generally happens when routine valve sets are overlooked. 

If not too bad, I’ve had good success hand cutting both intake and stellite exhaust valve seats by hand. Then lapping in new valves.

I pulled the intake manifold and tested valve seat seal-abilty using kerosene. It will not drip down past a good valve that has been reassembled with springs, and in the closed position. 

Resist the temptation to use a wire wheel on a drill to decarbon the top of the block. If you want to do that, insert clean new shop towels in each cylinder. Then use a BRASS wire wheel. When done carefully pull out the shop towels.  Use a shop-vac and  suck everything and anything up. Especially down around the tops of the pistons. You want to be sure there’s nothing  left down there to score up a cylinder wall. Or get lodged between your top piston ring and groove.  Wire wheels tend to kick off little pieces of wire as they rotate. They can get into every little  place that they don’t belong. Causing much regret later.