Pinion ring gear set

Kevin

Has anyone found a source for this ?

I have a 1950 B-2-C that I need to replace this  in.

I have heard that some truck owners are replacing the differential  with one from a 1995 jeep which  is about  1 inch wider, and changing out the drive shaft .

Edited by Kevin
word edit

I have kept this truck original . Won't  changing out the rear end lessen the value of the truck? I have had a recommendation of using a diff. Out of a o8 explorer with a 325 to 350 ratio, to get more highway speed.

Some things to consider. B2C is a 3/4 ton with a larger 5 on 5 bolt pattern, While a 1/2 ton B2B would have the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

If you did change the rear end with modern rear end, you would most likely be getting the smaller 5 on 4.5" wheel pattern ... with the front still larger ... would need 2 spares. Or modify the front brakes/drums to match the rear. And that is easy also.

I wonder what & who places values on these trucks ...Stock and capable of 50 mph ...concourse restoration, I doubt you could sell it for more then you put into resto.

Would be easy ... kinda ... to find a used 3/4 ton rear end. I think 1/2 tons were more plentiful, then people who bought trucks bought the larger 1 ton and up. New brake drums I think is $350-$400 each, would not take long to go north of $1k just for new brakes. ON THE REAR!

Then lets get on the front brakes. You can swap hubs with a 1/2 ton and get correct bolt pattern so they match .. Either used or the new ones again are over $300 each. Or you could do a disk brake conversion for cheaper.

You see where I am heading, you can pickup a old explorer rear end for $0-$200 do a brake job for cheap. or a jeep cherokee rear is good,

I understand our flathead 6's like 3:73 gears, comfortable gear where they can run 65-70 mph, While a 3:55 seems a little tall, go a little faster on a flat surface, on hills you may lack torque and be busy shifting.

Just depends on you and what you want to do with your truck ... If thinking about value, you may be better off investing in gold.

If you want to drive your truck and enjoy it, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars on brakes alone and get a truck you really enjoy driving.

I respect those that do a concourse restoration and preserve these old cars. In the end we are just caretakers to pass them on to the next generation.

Nobody is reproducing gear sets for these axles. If you wish to keep your original axle you will need to find a good differential from another Mopar truck, or car, from that era. If you are looking for better highway gears I’d recommend looking at diffs from cars. I have a 3.73 differential from a ‘50 Plymouth in my truck’s axle. It was pretty much a direct swap. Just the driveshaft flange was different, but they swapped over, no problem. 

• Thanks 1

Merle,this sounds like my best bet as I have invested already in all new brake parts and seals for the old axle .Did you use the original  differential housing ,or did you have to switch  this out also. Did you use the same drive shaft and universals?

Edited by Kevin
Spelling

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

Merle,this sounds like my best bet as I have invested already in all new brake parts and seals for the old axle .Did you use the original  differential housing ,or did you have to switch  this out also. Did you use the same drive shaft and universals?

I actually made a swap with another forum member at that time. He was looking for a 4.10 diff to put in his Plymouth Suburban with an overdrive transmission so he could have good gearing for pulling a boat or camper and still have a good highway speed. He found an axle that he though would have a 4.10 diff but it ended up being a 3.73. I had a parts truck at the time with a 4.10 diff. We traded pictures first and realized that there were a couple differences. One obvious one was the input flange that connects to the drive shaft. The cars use a totally different universal/CV joint system. The other difference was in the differential carrier housing. The truck diff with 4.10 gears had a more robust carrier housing. We decided to make the trade and it only cost us shipping what we had to the other guy. We pulled the pinion input flanges before shipping. When it arrived I put in a new pinion seal, installed the drive flange from the truck diff, pulled the original diff out if my truck, bolted in the replacement diff assembly, refilled the oil, and have been driving it for many years. 

The only caveat to this is to check the axle shaft spline count. There was a change sometime in the early to mid '50's in the spline count. However, if you end up with one that has a different spline count than what your truck has you may be able to swap the side gears. I believe Young Ed has reported that he has done this. 

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

The only caveat to this is to check the axle shaft spline count. There was a change sometime in the early to mid '50's in the spline count. However, if you end up with one that has a different spline count than what your truck has you may be able to swap the side gears. I believe Young Ed has reported that he has done this. 

Yes and don't find out like I did after I'd already installed the diff and then my axles wouldn't fit. Dad swapped my side gears from the original diff and it's been trouble free for about 20k miles.

Merie,this sounds like my best bet as I have invested already in all new brake partisans seals for the old axle .Did you use the original  differential housing ,or did you have to switch  this out also. Did you use the same drive shaft and universals?

Update, I have called around our state to the salvage yards and have so far only found a 1949 special deluxe  coup with a 3 speed  manual trans .t

They can't tell me if it is a 3.73 gear ratio though,it is still attached to the car .He said he has a 1952 Meadowbrook also with a 3 speed manual trans. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Merie,this sounds like my best bet as I have invested already in all new brake partisans seals for the old axle .Did you use the original  differential housing ,or did you have to switch  this out also. Did you use the same drive shaft and universals?

Update, I have called around our state to the salvage yards and have so far only found a 1949 special deluxe  coup with a 3 speed  manual trans .t

They can't tell me if it is a 3.73 gear ratio though,it is still attached to the car .He said he has a 1952 Meadowbrook also with a 3 speed manual trans. 

There is a flat spot at the top of the pumpkin right on the edge where it mates to the axle housing that should be stamped with the ratio. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to make sure that I fully understand  what you are telling me. I can use my existing differential  and just change out the ring and pinion gears assembly from a 1950 model Plymouth  sedan and only have to change out the output flange and maybe the small gears if spline count is different  on the axles. I don't  have to change out the hog head part of the diff.

Backwards. You take the car hoghead with gears all assembled and drop it in the truck axle housing with possibly only changing the spider gears on it. Externally change the driveshaft flange.

Actually the easiest way is to find a good used 3 member complete with the ratio you desire from the year range you already have and just change the entire part.  Cars and trucks from many Mopar brands and range of the early years interchange.

Just my experience. A lot can depend if you have something weird from most( rare) and want something else that is also rare.

Several members have reprints of the old interchange books and may help you out but details of what you already have ( may need to remove the axles and third member to do this to be sure) and what you want will determine the possible replacements to search for.

DJ

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In my search for a replacement  ring gear  and pinion  set .I was told that  a 1950 Plymouth sedan dog head with the gears would swap with mine in my 1950 Dodge truck model B-2-C.  With the 3.73-1 ratio that I want . I have found a 1953 Plymouth  Cranbrook  with the gear ratio I want . Does anyone know if this will work the same as the 1950, I  would hate to have to take out my diff. if I don't have to.

Edited by Kevin
Spelling

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

In my search for a replacement  ring gear  and pinion  set .I was told that  a 1950 Plymouth sedan dog head with the gears would swap with mine in my 1950 Dodge truck model B-2-C.  With the 3.73-1 ratio that I want . I have found a 1953 Plymouth  Cranbrook  with the gear ratio I want . Does anyone know if this will work the same as the 1o50 I hate to take out my diff. if I don't have to.

My Hollander says yes.  Axle splines should be the same too.  but, sometimes these old cars/trucks have been changed from original, so be prepared to swap the axle gears.  easy to do and doesn't mess with the gear settings.

16 hours ago, kencombs said:

My Hollander says yes.  Axle splines should be the same too.  but, sometimes these old cars/trucks have been changed from original, so be prepared to swap the axle gears.  easy to do and doesn't mess with the gear 

• 6 months later...