New Member - 1951 DeSoto Custom Kustom

smgutierrezsb

Hey ya'll. Thanks for adding me to the forum. Taking a bit of a leap of faith by bringing up the dreaded "kustom" word, but I'll give some back story.

I grew up in Northern California going to shows with my pops and always liked the kustom crowd. I remember as a youngster seeing a '51 Merc with a DeSoto grill for the first time and telling my dad, "I want one of those". His response was something along the lines of "Sure kid, you've got champagne taste on a beer budget". Being that young I didn't know the grill wasn't original to the car. Fast forward many years and many cars later I came across a 1951 DeSoto Custom that needed a home. 

Guys usually rob the grills and bumpers and leave them to rot so I decided to give it the full custom treatment it deserved. Inspired by the Barris & Ayala's of Southern California I wanted to do something traditional that gave the '51 a facelift while still being true to its roots. Not slammed. No bags. No SBC. No tricks, just the good stuff. Here are some photos as it stands today and a list of the custom bits.

• Shaved and molded all around
  • 4.5" chop
  • Reshaped rear wheel openings
  • Headlights extended 1" & frenched stock rings
  • 1956 DeSoto 330 hemi w/ dual quds
  • 1953 DeSoto Grill (STILL LOOKING FOR THE 2 OUTER MOST TEETH & WILLING TO BUY)
  • 1956 DeSoto dash
  • 1955 DeSoto wheel covers
  • 1951 Packard spear trim
  • 1956 Hudson tail lights
  • Overrider using 1951 DeSoto bumper guards and 1951 Mercury center bar
  • Ford shoebox rear window
  • Will be painted 1951 factory solid midnight blue

Will post more as things happen. I might be hounding ya'll for some parts!

IMG-6706.jpg

IMG-6707.jpg

IMG-6708.jpg

IMG-6709.jpg

IMG-6710.jpg

Edited by smgutierrezsb
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I like the tail light job particularly.

Edit: not so big a fan of the amount of roof chop without a whole lot of other stuff to balance that but I still think it's fantastic work. 

Edited by 50mech
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I'll chip in for a quart of paint and a brillo pad for the tires....good start, hope this is not the finished look....

? the tires definitely need a good clean...I didn't want to buy them at the beginning because I knew they would get filthy, but I wanted to make sure the huge 4-1/4" whitewall looked proportional. I don't know, maybe a 3-1/4" WW would look more appropriate? 

WOW!! A true Barry's works,,, and all Mopar (close enough)  , you are a master craftsman.    Can't wait to see more pics..   any older pics like went you first got it!!??

Welcome to the forum.Thank you for posting the photos and details of the work done to date. Along with other forum members, I like your concept, some original ideas and also look forward to more photos. ☺️

8 hours ago, lepic56 said:

WOW!! A true Barry's works,,, and all Mopar (close enough)  , you are a master craftsman.    Can't wait to see more pics..   any older pics like went you first got it!!??

Oh I won't pretend to be a craftsman! I took it to someone for the sheet metal fabrication work. My limited skills only go so far.

Here are some before photos. It was repainted a bluish-green at some point. 

IMG-4759.jpg

IMG-4761.jpg

IMG-4760.jpg

IMG-4762.jpg

IMG-4758.jpg

• Like 1