Starter slows down

jgreg53

My first check would be for dirty/sticky brush holders next, dirty or out of round commutator.  Last probability is worn bushings.  All fixable, but commutator would require lathe work.

Edit to ask:  What voltage do you read while the starter is turning on the bench?  That would clear up any battery question.

Edited by kencombs

Even though your battery shows 6 volts , it might not have enough power . A battery load tester should show the answer . I have the cheap Harbor freight model and it has been working fine . If you don't want to buy a load tester , you might call around to shops that might have one to get a good test on your battery . If your battery tests good then the obvious answer is a starter that needs work . The armature might be dragging because of a worn bearing for example . 

3 minutes ago, jgreg53 said:

Since i don't really know what a good one looks like i would say it's ok.

not good to guess....measure the puppy.....you need to be able to do good testing with these high current devices...load testing and current reading is the better method....if nothing else arm yourself with the amp specs and carry it to be tested...I think most big box stores can do a load/current test.   Most do it for no charge...

the starter is usually a good load tester for the battery.  When I test batteries for my job I expect to see the following happen, the battery voltage will drop. stop then come back up and stabilize under load if it's good.  If it just drops and keeps dropping, or doesn't come back up under load it's bad.  A hydrometer will tell you the state of each cell and is accurate for a 12v or 6v battery as each cell will read the same, it's the total number of cells that determine the battery voltage, 3 for 6v, 6 for 12v.

This procedure talks about a 12v battery, half the voltage in the load test chart for a 6v one.  You can also turn on the headlights for 2 minutes or so to eliminate the surface charge they talk of.  Put you meter on the battery and watch it when you turn on the headlights, if the battery voltage drops off real fast and low the battery is bad, my MIL's battery did that when she had starting issues.

https://www.liveabout.com/vehicle-battery-and-load-testing-4083840

Lot's of parts stores have the ability to load test a battery and do a current draw test on the starter, the question is if they can do a 6v starter though.  It has been decades since I worked at a parts store and I do not remember.  Also, did you do a voltage drop test?

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/voltage-drop-test.html

A remote starter really helps with these kinds of tests.  Just remember to follow polarity, in a positive ground system you want to connect to the NEGATIVE battery terminal not the positive as said in the video.

Edited by Sniper

Took the starter to oreily. If these guys can't find your car in their computer they can't help you. Their tester won't do 6 volts. Only 12. I noticed the brush end of it gets quite warm where the bushing is

1 hour ago, jgreg53 said:

Took the starter to oreily. If these guys can't find your car in their computer they can't help you. Their tester won't do 6 volts. Only 12. I noticed the brush end of it gets quite warm where the bushing is

I am very sorry I lead you on a wild goose chase with the big box store.....I would not  have  thought they could not do a 6 volt unit....maybe a local farm/home supply place...they do tractor starters I am sure.  

18 minutes ago, jgreg53 said:

I was going that route but he is out of stosk

Unfortunately, Rock Auto doesn't list a drive end bushing, but they show most of the important stuff in stock, other than that bushing you need.

But Oilite bushings are not hard to find.  You can measure your existing one's outer diameter adn length, then the shaft's diameter and that should give you the specs you need to find the proper bushing.  Heck, my local Ace carries a selection of them in stock.

yes....get some quality parts and fix that thing correctly and get on down the road...JB weld and duct tape, two horror stories and what is worse often you seen them used together...a true user will often hide his JB weld under the dash with a bit of duct tape....rehabilitation has never met with success...these folks are doomed forever...