wheel won't turn (stored in barn for 10 years)

Tom_S

I have a 1946 Super Delux that has been in a barn for the last 10 years.  I know that it was driven into the barn, but not touched since then.  I figure the brakes are a good place to start since I remember that they needed help then also.  I have not done anything with the engine.  I tried to tow the car out of the barn, but it just squatted and wouldn't budge.  I was afraid I would break the tow strap.

I have read that the drum needs to turn freely in order for a wheel puller to remove the hub.  I have backed off the brake adjusting cam and the drum (starting on the R front) still won't turn.  Can I get some suggestions about how to get the drum to spin?  I popped the bearing dust cover off and the outer bearing has grease and appears OK)

I have a jack stand under the frame by the front passenger door and another under the front crossover

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Tom

I saw a video online where the guy (different make/model) removed the break mounting bolt and drilled out the brake holding clip.  Could something like that work on the P15?

Are brake shoes and/or drums readily available or are the hard to come by?  (If I damage them trying to get it to move)

Edited by Tom_S
clarification

Remove the nuts on the two major adjusters. Gently tap the bolts inward till the shoulder on the bolt clears the brake shoe bracket.  The will pull the shoes away from the drum. No to be a smart ass but you did pull the  wheel bearing adjuster nut first?

• Like 1

No, I haven't loosened that nut.  I'm taking all suggestions I can get!

I'll give those a try tomorrow ?.

I've found that a few good whacks with a hammer will usually break the bond between the shoes and the drum thereby allowing the drum to turn. You made a good choice by focusing in on the brake's  first. That's the most important system of the car. 

2 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

wheel bearing adjuster nut

Not to be a dumb ass, but just uninformed, where is that? Did some research, as a novice, I still do not know all the nomenclature, I.e., spindle/axle nut! 

Edited by pflaming

When i was first was getting my old 1963 Rambler back on the road it had been sitting for six years up here on the northern california coast. I jacked up the wheel with the frozen drums and wacked them with a mallet. In conjunction with this I put a breaker bar of sorts in between the lugs and stomped on it/ put my weight on it. Its not very graceful but it works.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RamblinMan63 said:

When i was first was getting my old 1963 Rambler back on the road it had been sitting for six years up here on the northern california coast. I jacked up the wheel with the frozen drums and wacked them with a mallet. In conjunction with this I put a breaker bar of sorts in between the lugs and stomped on it/ put my weight on it. Its not very graceful but it works.

Have to be careful with wheel bolts using this method, left front wheel has left hand threads, bugger them up and it just makes a problem worse. Want to break up rust quick? Air hammer and water. Instant brown mud. 

• Like 1

Success!

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Thanks to them and that special drum removal tool- the BFH, I now have both front drums off.  On to the rear drums  and then I'll work on brakes.

I had to put in a new axle seal.  I could not put that drum back on the same shoes. Problem: the axle grease had coated the drum and shoes, then having sat for years, turned into a sticky substance. I cleaned both drum and shoes with acetone and all was resolved!