step bore to straight bore wheel cylinders.

I wondering if others have changed from one to the other.

My truck had the step bore on the front and needed replaced.

Me being the selfish person I am, wanted straight bore and saw they were a option and ordered those.

They fit fine, I noticed it was difficult to get the drums back on. I did have to back off the adjustment on the shoes all the way, then basically leave them backed off and just a slight drag when turning the drums. .... exactly how I would have adjusted them in the first place.  This is with the used thin brake shoes. Thinking if I had new shoes, may not have gotten the drums on at all.

Now I am kinda second guessing my choice. ... My thought is when I get hydraulics working and get some pressure on them, they will get seated proper and then can or will need to adjust them up.

While putting my rear brakes together ... my mind is wandering to the front brakes and wonder if I need to revisit them?

Is it bad voo doo to go from step to straight bores?

Possibly the length of the brake cylinder pins need to be changed?

This has been a problem in the past- some new vs old lengths and possibly the change from step to single bore?

Just some guesses.

DJ

5 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

This has been a problem in the past- some new vs old lengths and possibly the change from step to single bore?

Since I did this swap ... plot gets deeper. Watching JonathanW on youtube build a old roadster, he is using a 30's mopar straight axle and he made a huge deal out of the fact he was using the step wheel cylinders and he took his brake shoes and cut the front shoe shorter then the rear shoe. Or opposite, but he acted like it mattered.

Suggesting that the step cylinders were used to work different pressures on front and rear shoes on that axle.

I guess that is where my question really lies ... Is there really a different set of shoes to go with the wheel cylinders?

Prior to self adjusting brakes, step bores were used to apply more brake pressure to the rearward shoes so the shoes would wear more evenly...no modifications are required to the shoes if changing over to straight bore...not sure why shoes need to be modified, they either fit or don't fit, unless there's some sort of issue with lockup on a particular modification but alotta custom guys are more bs artist than technical wizard so who knows what the motivation is there...

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

Prior to self adjusting brakes, step bores were used to apply more brake pressure to the rearward shoes so the shoes would wear more evenly...no modifications are required to the shoes if changing over to straight bore...not sure why shoes need to be modified, they either fit or don't fit, unless there's some sort of issue with lockup on a particular modification but alotta custom guys are more bs artist than technical wizard so who knows what the motivation is there...

I appreciate your info.

As you say, so many BS artist on the youtube ... makes a guy wonder.

19 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

If i recall they changed from step to straight bore from one year to the next without changing anything else. 

Exactly, your opinion gives me peace of mind.

Fact is I really did not know. was gnawing in the back of my mind. I am no spring chicken, but was hatched in 1962. was the 70's before I started working on cars ... Just because I drove a 51 ford in school does not mean I worked on it, just the cheapest beater I could afford.

Only thing I have against step bores today is running a hone through them for rebuild ... otherwise I know nothing.