23 inch verses 25 inch

Boody

I have a 52 Dodge panel truck that had a 218 23-inch Flathead 3 speed on the floor. If I found a 25 inch flathead  3 speed on the floor , would the bell housing and transmission  bolt up ? Would the only issue be it would be 2 inches closer to the radiator? I'm guessing the exhaust  and intake wouldn't fit ? My 218 was frozen and in tough shape. I think it would cost to much to rebuild . 

Thanks Dave

Yes on the radiator relocation.  Probably just drill holes and move to the front of the mounting frame.  Some chassis have a front crossmember in the way of the oil pan.  Not sure of the panel truck.    Someone with direct experience with that will be along I'm sure.

Wouldn't the front motor mount "harp" also need moving? Pretty sure panel truck frames are the same as 1/2 ton frames and the front crossmember that the harp sits on would definitely be in the way and need moving. I will look at my frame and see if there is 2 inches that it could move forward, that also has the radiator support so you get both.

Looked at my truck, looks like there is just barely 2 inches there, and the harp can be moved forward on the crossmember with new holes. Also looks like the radiator could be moved to the front side of it's mounting bracket and moved 2 inches with some spacers. Tricky but looks like it could work.

How can you move the harp with the front fender brackets mounted to it w/o messing up the figment for the nose?

I think he's  talking about the front motor mount harp . How about the oil pan clearing the I beam ? I have an electric  fan I could use. Maybe I should look for  a 218 motor  for a truck . 

Thanks

Have you looked for a 23 inch motor yet?

I believe the 25 inch motors were made to fit in the same engine bay as the 23 inch.

You'll have to check with the Fargo guys to see where the x member differs (trans), or the fan neck, or anywhere else. 

Note: I just looked at your profile picture......you have a 51-53 panel body with a 48-50 nose grille. Did you already know that?

48D

Edited by 48Dodger

When I purchased  the truck I thought it was a 1950 . The truck was registered  as a 1952 . When checking  the vin also looked like a 52. I have found a 25 inch for $250 complete haven't checked  it out yet says it ran good .my truck did have a 3 speed  on the floor. Should the bell housing and clutch bolt up ? I also got an email  from some one that has a D400 59 or 60 he is not sure of motor size but says it runs good. Haven't contacted  him yet. Will be checking the 25 inch  this weekend  .