Careful out there...Its a big world.

keithb7

I slid in between these two trucks at my work parking lot this morning. When I turned around to look at my car while I walked away I was mildly amused. These old cars look pretty small compared to the new trucks of today. Look at all the room between my car and the adjacent trucks. There is actually room to open the doors and easily get in and out of the car. I did not realize how much larger new vehicles are. Often I struggle to squeeze out of the doors in my work truck, a 2017 F250. Some parking lots are so tight a person cannot walk between my work truck and the car next to me, even when all the doors are closed and mirrors pulled in.

I was grimly reminded to pay extra attention when cruising around in my '38. The modern beasts on the road could crush it, and me.

IMG_6473.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

What frightens me is that young people age 30 and down have no clue what they are driving. The new pickups are essentially one ton trucks with easy to drive controls. If one of them were to go down a road in a ‘50’s or earlier truck at 70 miles an hour, they would be scared to death! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pflaming said:

What frightens me is that young people age 30 and down have no clue what they are driving. The new pickups are essentially one ton trucks with easy to drive controls. If one of them were to go down a road in a ‘50’s or earlier truck at 70 miles an hour, they would be scared to death! 

Me too.

My 51 is my only driver.  I have a company truck, 2019 Silverado 2500, 4 door long bed, 4x4.  I know what you mean.  I hate parking that truck in parking lots.  But it's what I need to haul the stuff I need for my job and go places I need to go in the oil patch.   

Newer ones can be a bit deceptive though. My 1993 e150 comes across the scales at close to it's claimed gross weight of 6700lbs. While my friends 2019 f250 four door comes across closer to curb weight of another model at 5600.  I get crumple absorbing impact and all but I also understand when calculating inertia weight is squared while speed is not. Pretty sure my little van would crush his ( mostly made of cardboard , I joke, much larger) truck.

Edited by 50mech

1 minute ago, 50mech said:

Newer ones can be a bit deceptive though. My 1993 e150 comes across the scales at close to it's claimed gross weight of 6700lbs. While my friends 2019 f250 four door comes across closer to curb weight of another model at 5600.  I get crumple absorbing impact and all but I also understand when calculating inertia weight is squared while speed is not. Pretty sure my little van would crush his ( mostly made of cardboard , I joke, much larger) truck.

I have an '04 e250. I got a new Transit 150 late last year. Put about 12k on it so far and I'm still getting used to it. It's a nice van and it'll out-accelerate my old van but it still seems weird..

25 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

I have an '04 e250. I got a new Transit 150 late last year. Put about 12k on it so far and I'm still getting used to it. It's a nice van and it'll out-accelerate my old van but it still seems weird..

I kind of want one actually. Just need to test drive some.

As an aside my friends f250 also very obviously shows the negative effects of having a rather light vehicle sprung for very heavy loads ( way to fluff those numbers) on the dirt road leading to his house. Holy crap that thing rides like a log wagon.

5mph max and it's still rough, while the van cruises comfortably at 15 and the Plymouth you'll do 25 and not really notice you're on dirt.

Edited by 50mech

14 hours ago, 50mech said:

As an aside my friends f250 also very obviously shows the negative effects of having a rather light vehicle sprung for very heavy loads ( way to fluff those numbers) on the dirt road leading to his house. Holy crap that thing rides like a log wagon.

5mph max and it's still rough, while the van cruises comfortably at 15 and the Plymouth you'll do 25 and not really notice you're on dirt.

I've put quite a few miles on Econolines over the years. I put 220k on the '08 E150 I had just before the Transit and a couple of others that I drove over 150k. My '04 E250 is right at 200k now. I never had any problems with any of them. The Transit seems like a decent van. Time will tell if the 3.7 holds up as well as the 5.0's and 4.6s.

6 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

I've put quite a few miles on Econolines over the years. I put 220k on the '08 E150 I had just before the Transit and a couple of others that I drove over 150k. My '04 E250 is right at 200k now. I never had any problems with any of them. The Transit seems like a decent van. Time will tell if the 3.7 holds up as well as the 5.0's and 4.6s.

My current one is a 4.9 which will probably outlast the rest of the van. 355k on it so far. The E4OD trans I just replaced at 345k.

It's no wonder though, engine and trans are massive hulk's that handle basically no power lol.

Although after being struck by lightning my steering gearbox lost a seal in one direction and shortly after the other direction and I have a squeak in the rear u joint and somewhere in the steering.

21 hours ago, 50mech said:

My son and I were commenting on that very thing.  My work truck is a '19 Silverado 2500 and the Plymouth rides a lot better over rough stuff and I am usually carrying 1500lbs or so of work stuff in the bed of the truck. 

On 7/22/2020 at 8:03 PM, 50mech said:

..................I get crumple absorbing impact and all but I also understand when calculating inertia weight is squared while speed is not. Pretty sure my little van would crush his ( mostly made of cardboard , I joke, much larger) truck.

Maybe, but the energy of impact is 1/2mV^2, so if velocity is doubled the impact energy increases by a factor of four.

23 minutes ago, hi_volt said:

Maybe, but the energy of impact is 1/2mV^2, so if velocity is doubled the impact energy increases by a factor of four.

Yes and since velocity is relative, impact energy is shared evenly between the two objects. Raising the speed of the less solid object only makes it crush more.