Distributor Centrifugal Advance Springs

keithb7

I have spare distributor here from a 1949 D32. Aside from points and condensers, I have not done a deep dive into a distributor. So I dug in to learn. When I got down into the bottom I took the breaker cam out to see the weights. I noticed there are two different springs. One is fine, (lower in pic) and smooth feeling. The other (upper in pic) is thicker, clunkier it seems. It appears to do little in the way of expanding much. I assume it takes a lot of RPM to get the heavier spring to open. It will open when I push the weight outward.

I immediately thought aha! Someone was in there and screwed around and put in one spare, other sized spring. Then I thought hmm..This is my first time seeing the inner guts. My Motors manual taught me that sometimes same springs, or two different springs can be used inside the distributor. 

What are your findings? Different springs in the old Mopars? I am thinking I will clean up this distributor. Lube the baking plate bearing. New wires, points and condenser and try using it in my 38 Ply. It has the 1954 25" 228 Canadian engine. This distributor is off of a 218 25" Canadian engine. The difference being 3 /16 " in stroke length.  The bushings in this one feel fine. Its worth a try I figure. Would be a fun experiment. Convince me otherwise if you have done this and learned something I am about to. LOL. Thx. Keith

Distributor.jpg

Edited by keithb7

You hit on the reasoning for the two different springs, they control different parts of the mechanical advance curve based on RPM.  Lighter spring is for lower rpm, you can play with the slot size to vary how much advance in that part of the curve, heavier spring is for higher RPM and you can also play with that slot size to adjust the amount of advance.   There is a company that makes a plate with multiple slot sizes to make it easier, at least on newer Mopars, not sure if it'd fit our stuff.  

http://4secondsflat.com/Mopar Mechanical timing limiter plate.htm

J685S-1.jpg