Good price for 230 engine

I’d be trying to pay a few hundred bucks. Anybody that doesn’t want one or value it highly will probably be relieved you will help them get rid of it. They used them into the 70s and maybe later in forklifts and stuff so you might get lucky 

17 minutes ago, Radarsonwheels said:

Anybody that doesn’t want one or value it highly will probably be relieved you will help them get rid of it.

I agree with this totally. Yesterday I bought a complete late model Ford flat head V8 and transmission for $100. Came out of a 1951 ford 1/2 ton.

Guy is going with late model drivetrain .

While this is not a mopar motor, is same principle. They see it as junk and want it gone.

Buying a engine like this, I know it is stuck from sitting ... is a pig in a poke. It may be a junk block ... might be gold.

I expect I might need 3 of these $100 motors to make a good one.. I may get lucky and soak it and fire it up.

If you buy a motor from someone who is experienced and  knows and cares, expect to pay more.

But you take the mystery out of it, you know you have something that will work .

You wont have 3 junk motors for parts laying around ... you might pay $300 ... $500 ... How much is too much for piece of mind and moving forward with your project?

These old flat heads have little value to some and are gold to others.

• Like 1

Your location can make a big difference or none.

I found a call to some local engine rebuild shops gave me several leads as to who in my area was still using these and got several phone #'s from them . A few follow up calls got me some names to people who had extra motors and one that was glad to let one complete go for $100.

So ask around your area, me thinks?

DJ

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I agree with this totally. Yesterday I bought a complete late model Ford flat head V8 and transmission for $100. Came out of a 1951 ford 1/2 ton.

Guy is going with late model drivetrain .

While this is not a mopar motor, is same principle. They see it as junk and want it gone.

Buying a engine like this, I know it is stuck from sitting ... is a pig in a poke. It may be a junk block ... might be gold.

I expect I might need 3 of these $100 motors to make a good one.. I may get lucky and soak it and fire it up.

If you buy a motor from someone who is experienced and  knows and cares, expect to pay more.

But you take the mystery out of it, you know you have something that will work .

You wont have 3 junk motors for parts laying around ... you might pay $300 ... $500 ... How much is too much for piece of mind and moving forward with your project?

These old flat heads have little value to some and are gold to others.

3???  A little story about my last flathead Ford experience.  Way back in the mid 60s.  I bought a really clean 53 Victoria from the local Pontiac dealer.  One of those back row trade-in deals.

Really cheap, slipping Fordomatic and overheating.  Cracked block of course.  Dad had a salvage at the time and a stack of core engines.  So, I started pulling heads to examine valve seats and cylinder walls.  24 bolts per head, 48 bolts per engine.  No impact breaker bar and ratchet.  24 engines later I found one with no cracks, but had to sleeve one cylinder because of a slipped wrist pin score.  Guys that mess with them now swear the cracks are so common they have a Ford Part Number!

Sure wish I had that Vicky now though.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Guys that mess with them now swear the cracks are so common they have a Ford Part Number!

Yes this is true, lucky the Dodges do not have this issue like the Fords. Although mother nature can create cracks on dodge blocks also.

And often the damage is not found until delivered to a machine shop.

So we buy up every old engine we can find, stuff them in corners and hope for the best.

So many cracks on Fords, some you ignore, some you can fix, others you just collect parts.

I have one good 230 came from running car and one I just got with fluid drive but seen water in the intake, which is not good also have used 218 which will roll over but I am too far from you to be of any help and I don't have means to ship.