Loss of oil pressure D24

Alex in SLC

Hello Everyone,

Question: I just got done replacing the "oil pump cover gasket" on my rotor style pump in my 48 Dodge D24. I DID NOT remove the pump from the engine. But when the cover came off the outer oil pump rotor came with it. I replaced the gasket, put the outer rotor back in, put the cover back on, tightened it up, filled the engine with oil and now I don't have any oil pressure.... What have I done...  Did I  put the rotor in wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated!    

Thanks you,

Alex 

Edited by Alex in SLC

You need to prime the pump as it is now empty. Best way to do that, without removing the pump from the engine, is to pack the rotor cavities with assembly lube, or Vaseline. This will allow the pump to pull up oil from the sump and start pumping again. The assembly lube, or Vaseline, will break down in the oil and won’t cause any damage. 

• Like 2