Auxiliary fan

Doug&Deb

Recently put a 12 volt pusher fan in my 39 Ply, if it wasn't for the sound  of the fan wouldn't know it was there.  It is a single fan and convers the radiator from side to side.  Only intend on using when stuck in traffic and the temperature is in the high 80s, using a generator don't want to push the limits,  Uoptimum battery, 165 degree thermostat & Evans waterless antifreeze.  Since installation, have used it a few times when the outside temp is in the high 80s and within a few minutes will lower the temperature 5 degrees or more.   The markings on the 39 gauge are spaces such that takes some estimating.  On another note I rarely use the heater,  was thinking that if the heater hose was disconnected and connected  to the back of the head the engine would  get better circulation.  The temperature gauge may read higher, as this would be circulating water not far from the temperature sensor , however may be a more accurate measurement.   I could meter the flow with the heater valve if needed.  Any thoughts, just seems like the engine has better circulation in the winter when the heater is used than in the summer?

3 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Just a note about flushes.  be absolutely sure whatever you use is safe for your  aluminum radiator.  For instance strong bases will dissolve it quickly.  Some acids also.  For instance CLR is labeled as not for use on aluminum.

Sorry guys. i meant this action for the original radiators only.

Joe Lee

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I've used vinegar instead of CLR for decent results.  No clue on it's effects on aluminum, though.

Thanks Sniper. I forgot all about vinegar. I only used the CLR because I didn't even think of or remember about vinegar. I'll edit my post.

What do you guys think of using vinegar as full system flush for an original system? Brass rad, iron engine and heads. 2 gallons vinegar and 1 gallon of water, run for 10 to 20 minutes rest for 10 and run again then drain and flush.

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003

OP.   You have a fresh motor,  fresh pressurized radiator,  fresh 180 thermostat,  fresh antifreeze, no boil over even in extended traffic and heatwaves, and you are properly pulling temperature readings from the hottest part of the block.  

Politely then....stop looking for something to fix, it's working like all modern cars,  as designed for a pressurized system with a hot thermostat.  Just enjoy your ride.

Ps, do some technical reading,  short of hi speeds that cause cavitation in the pump (and attendant loss of water flow) one cant move the water too fast thru the radiator.    That's a myth.  

• Like 2

The parts store 180F types usually open at 190-195F. Before installing any thermostat I always check the opening heating the stat in a pot of water on the stove and an accurate thermometer, stirring constantly, heating slowly. You might find that a parts store 160 stat will open closer to 180.

...If you want a true opening at 180 F - use a robertshaw style stat from a muscle era mopar v8, yes they fit and work fine on my 52.

23 hours ago, soth122003 said:

Thanks Sniper. I forgot all about vinegar. I only used the CLR because I didn't even think of or remember about vinegar. I'll edit my post.

What do you guys think of using vinegar as full system flush for an original system? Brass rad, iron engine and heads. 2 gallons vinegar and 1 gallon of water, run for 10 to 20 minutes rest for 10 and run again then drain and flush.

Joe Lee

I've used vinegar as you described, almost.  drained rad and block, filled with straight vinegar and ran until warm.  Let stand overnight then drained and flushed.  Even pulled some of the core plugs and temp sender along with thermostat housing and flushed .  Even used a pressure washer where it would fit.  Filled with water and baking soda to neutralize  the acid.  Then finally the final coolant.  This was is a 4 cyl diesel truck and got a ton of stuff out.

Nothing wrong with watching your gauges, especially if they are accurate.   But, good that you are gonna get her rolling for enjoyment.   She'll be happier and last longer running hotter than 160 to 180.   Besides, you'll actually have heat and defrost in the winter!     

4 hours ago, Sharps40 said:

Nothing wrong with watching your gauges, especially if they are accurate.   But, good that you are gonna get her rolling for enjoyment.   She'll be happier and last longer running hotter than 160 to 180.   Besides, you'll actually have heat and defrost in the winter!     

I was working on my Grandson's '10 Dodge Journey today.  Hooked up my code reader which supports live data and drove it for a few miles. Once up to temp and settled in, 214-218 range, moving, just one or two hotter idling. And the inards of newer engines like that are good for at least 200k, most more  Can't say that for sensors, actuators and such though!

Edited by kencombs

Engines today are machined with a precision they couldn't even dream of when our flatties were made.  Not to mention substantial improvements in materials since then.  Most engines today use moly rings, we had cast iron, which will eat a bore like the Cookie Monster goes after Chips Ahoy.  three thing rings versus four fat ones don't help.  Better valve train oiling and cooling.  More precise fuel control and delivery, the list goes on.  

While we can do things to ameliorate some of the issues, assuming money is no object, there are things we can't address. 

14 hours ago, Sniper said:

Engines today are machined with a precision they couldn't even dream of when our flatties were made.  Not to mention substantial improvements in materials since then.  Most engines today use moly rings, we had cast iron, which will eat a bore like the Cookie Monster goes after Chips Ahoy.  three thing rings versus four fat ones don't help.  Better valve train oiling and cooling.  More precise fuel control and delivery, the list goes on.  

While we can do things to ameliorate some of the issues, assuming money is no object, there are things we can't address. 

Don't forget modern engines have:

Much lighter rotating mass (allows thinner oil)

Low tension rings 

16-20 lbs pressure in the cooling system which substantially raises the boiling point.  With a 50/50 mix of coolant at seal level it boils at 226 degrees with 0 psi and 275 degrees at 20 lbs pressure.  

Emission requirements that necessitate hotter running engines

Finally @Sharps40 My heater / defroster will fry eggs at 170 degrees.