Voltage regulator on my 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

I was looking at my original volt. regulator for my 48 DeSoto.  the cover looks faded and worn with a bit of surface rust starting.  so I was curious to see what the inside looked like.  I unscrewed the two screws holding the cover on and was surprised to see that time had not touched the inside electrical points and resistors!  They looked as clean and shiny as the day they were assembled in 1948.  Shows what blocking air, light, and water can do for preserving something!  I wonder if I should do something like drag paper between the points or spray some contact cleaner on it before I put it into service again?  

Closely examine those contacts before you do anything.  If they are clean, there is no need to do anything.  They may have a bit of accumulation on them from the constant open/close cycles, if so, just as you mention, pull a sheet of paper between the points.  Personally, I wouldn't use contact cleaner if the innards are as pristine as you say.  Regardless of the benefits, you'll still be introducing liquid, albeit briefly, into things that have been dry for 72 years.  Now's a good time to clean and paint the cover, too.  Make it last all that much longer. 

• Like 1