Differential Studs

Does anyone know where one might find the studs for the differential pan. They are 7/16 studs with coarse thread that goes into the diff housing and fine thead on pan side. I did see some on Summit site but they seem long to me. 

It looks like someone took a hammer to mine and bent a few of the studs and mushroomed the top of them. Plus does anyone no if they are class 8 studs. It is a 12 bolt diff 

Edited by bambamshere

50 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Does anyone know where one might find the studs for the differential pan. They are 7/16 studs with coarse thread that goes into the diff housing and fine thead on pan side. I did see some on Summit site but they seem long to me. 

It looks like someone took a hammer to mine and bent a few of the studs and mushroomed the top of them. Plus does anyone no if they are class 8 studs. It is a 12 bolt diff 

Local parts stores can source them. If they are bent they wont be any tougher than grade 5. No reason to use studs.bolts will do the same job. I had a diff out of a 50 chevy 1 ton and bolts are used. 
a little bit of a task, but they can be made as well. Grade 5 coarse bolt with shank long enough to cut head off and run a fine thread die down shank. Double nut on coarse thread to lock it into vise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

Local parts stores can source them. If they are bent they wont be any tougher than grade 5. No reason to use studs.bolts will do the same job. I had a diff out of a 50 chevy 1 ton and bolts are used. 
a little bit of a task, but they can be made as well. Grade 5 coarse bolt with shank long enough to cut head off and run a fine thread die down shank. Double nut on coarse thread to lock it into vise. 

Good advice!  Only need a couple of studs to make the installation easier.  Hang the case on those and use bolts for the rest..

• Thanks 1

Contact Vintage Power Wagons in Fairfield Iowa or Midwest Military in Minnesota. They should have the studs. Part number is 929855. Give them this number. I would think those studs are grade 8. That 8&3/4” third member weights around 70 Lbs or so. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry just got all off these posts. I thought when I got a reply to one of my post it sent a email. Guess I have it one once a week. 

Anyways I did find some studs. Shoulds I be using grade 8 nuts the studs. Because I bought grade 5 and already went around it. 

Edited by bambamshere
  • Like 1

Grade 5 will be fine. 45 foot lbs for coarse thread, 50 for fine thread. 
For the price and peace of mind, you could buy grade 8. If you were to look at the technical data on fasteners, its suprising what you learn, clamp force and shear strength. 

E3B91BE5-3048-4E03-9BD0-BB49370D3D69.png

• Thanks 1